Upcoming Test and Write-up; want your input guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With summer starting to become full circle and the days getting longer I will be starting some testing and range report write-ups. I always like to get input before i work up the range testing. My first one i will be doing this summer is testing out a few factory loaded 223/5.56mm -75-77gr ammunition. I have some boxes of Silver State Armory 77gr SMK coming in the mail as we speak and i will also be hunting down some Black Hills 77gr SMK for this test, I will try to find the actual MK262 Mod1 stuff. What other production ammo would you guys like to be included in this write up? Some of the other offering out there is Double Tap, Hornady, Extreme Shock, Remington and Wolf. I would like to run five differant brands with Silver State and Blackhills already being part of that five, so give me 3 more. I would also like to hear any testing you would like to see when i run this thing. As of now my test is going to be a basic performance test with recorded velocities at barrel and recording group sizes at 100yds, 300yds and 500yds. The rifle i will be using is a Mk12 Mod1 or as i like to say is a ModX since its not a 100% correct clone. Barrel is a Rainier Arms 18" Ultra Match 1:8 Twist with a 223 Wylde chamber with rifle gas system. Rest of the rifle is a LaRue upper, Young National Match BCG, Knight Rifle Length RAS FF rail with Gessele 2-Stage trigger and optics will be Leupold or Nightforce. I will try and have a 18" 1:7 twist barreled rifle that has a similar setup for comparison to the 1:8 twist. Depending on how much of each ammo i can get i will shoot some ballistic Gelatin and possibly incorporate some barrier testing as well. So here you go guys let me hear some input and what you'd like to see in this test.

Strawdog

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I happened upon some Monarch with reloadable brass that has been running good for me so far. Wouldn't mind seeing how it stacks up. Its getting pretty easy to find.
55Gr FMJ, and 55Gr soft point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom