Usage-based Auto Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he's implying that his car is older than the systems that can tattle on you. OBD-II became mandatory in '96, IIRC.

I don't know what State Farm is using but on the commercial side, certain companies have some that do not connect to the engine management systems. Like he said, it's just mounted and runs paired with a phone.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My insurance just uses an app on the phone and uses the GPS, accelerometer and gyroscopic data.

I stopped using it because it would ding me when accelerating to get on a highway, or a hard brake when someone cuts you off. I guess I should have just hit the other person then slamming on the brakes to avoid a collision. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me think about this…If I’m braking hard because of stupid drivers in front of my vehicle in congested driving, animals, people, or objects in the highway, my insurance could go up?
Accelerating to merge into fast moving heavy traffic safely is going to up my insurance?
Hauling a 15,000 lb load up a 12,000’ mountain pass and down the other side would result in every action they say could cause the rate to climb.
That would be a big heck no from me.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he's implying that his car is older than the systems that can tattle on you. OBD-II became mandatory in '96, IIRC.
Understood. I don’t think State Farm’s device plugs into the OBD port. I believe you just mount it to the windshield and pair it with your smart phone.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me think about this…If I’m braking hard because of stupid drivers in front of my vehicle in congested driving, animals, people, or objects in the highway, my insurance could go up?
Accelerating to merge into fast moving heavy traffic safely is going to up my insurance?
Hauling a 15,000 lb load up a 12,000’ mountain pass and down the other side would result in every action they say could cause the rate to climb.
That would be a big heck no from me.
I’ve thought about these same scenarios as well. My agent told me that he hasn’t seen “bad” driving cause rates to go up. But, I figure it’s just a matter be a matter of time before rates go up or down based on driving habits. As others have said, I’m leaning towards passing on this option.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve thought about these same scenarios as well. My agent told me that he hasn’t seen “bad” driving cause rates to go up. But, I figure it’s just a matter be a matter of time before rates go up or down based on driving habits. As others have said, I’m leaning towards passing on this option.
If your agent is correct, why do they offer a discount for using them? I guess I'm missing the point unless they are using "paying you" for statistical data. :anyone:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your agent is correct, why do they offer a discount for using them? I guess I'm missing the point unless they are using "paying you" for statistical data. :anyone:

In commercial trucking telematics and cameras have shown a 70% reduction in severity and frequency of accidents.

I don't think we'll be legislated to have these, but I think eventually, a lot of insurance carriers will require them unfortunately.

Everyone should have a camera in their car though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom