USPSA Production question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a Glock 19 in USPSA production for a few months now, but I had a magazine question. Can I use a G17 magazine in my G19 and still be cool with the production rules?

I know it is supposed to be the "out-of-the-box" division, but I didn't think it would be a big deal to use the g17 mag since is it from the same manufacturer just from a different model gun. I usually have enough g19 mags for IPSC stages, but it would be nice to have an extra in the bag just in case.
Thanks for the info.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You sure of that, mike?
I don't know offhand, but I'd read the rules to be sure.
No one would care at a local match anyway.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Look at point 21.7 of Appendix D4, page 80 of the rulebook. It specifically allows non OEM mags and basepads.

As far as I know this is the only place stuff like this is defined. I haven't seen a letter from John A. or anything else from NROI about using longer OEM mags in shorter guns, but I would think at a major match you would be setting yourself up for a problem and a visit to the arb. committee unless there's been a ruling.

There is specific language in the rule book about weighted magazines and extended basepads being illegal along with any external modifications. Just looking at a 17/34 mag in a 19 you in theory have a bigger basepad than OEM and the mag weighs more which are both no no's. Even though it still fits the box, probably makes weight, and there isn't a capacity advantage.

Before taking that setup to any kind of major match you should put a good bit of effort into making sure it's legal. I think there is a ruling in IDPA that states it's okay, and a ruling for IPSC that says it isn't, I'm just not sure about USPSA.

Now that everything is as clear as dog doo no one will care at a local match, bring it out and blast away.

If anyone knows about a ruling here from NROI please share it, love to know what Amidon says, just don't care enough to ask.

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
question #2
I recently bought a competition double belt and had some problems with my current mag pouches coming off the belt WITH the magazine at the match today. My current mag pouches won't clip under and behind the double belt like they did with my kydex lined leather belt I used to use. (the new belt is wider and thicker)

What wanted to know is if either of the mag pouches below would work for Production. From reading the rules, it only says that "race" holsters aren't allowed, the equipment needs to be behind the hip bone, and can't be more than two inches from the inside of the belt. Unless I am missing some other rule these should be okay, right?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=2670122083

http://www.rescomp.co.za/pVRSAPCH/Versa-Pouch.aspx

Again... thanks for the help!