Gen 1 / NFML Glock Mags Cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not seen anything like that. How did you have them stored? Temperature swings?

In an ammo can, unloaded, in my gun room. Some temp swings but nothing drastic. Besides...that stuff should be impervious to the kinds of temps we're talking about.

It's a pretty common thing if you search around the web.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In an ammo can, unloaded, in my gun room. Some temp swings but nothing drastic. Besides...that stuff should be impervious to the kinds of temps we're talking about.

It's a pretty common thing if you search around the web.
Plastics generally get more brittle over time (my understanding is that it has to do with the plasticizers "evaporating" over time), so it probably wasn't common when the mags were newer, but is becoming more common as they age.

Back in the day, the Glock geeks said they called them polymer because "polymer" is a material and "plastic" is a property of a material.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plastics generally get more brittle over time (my understanding is that it has to do with the plasticizers "evaporating" over time), so it probably wasn't common when the mags were newer, but is becoming more common as they age.

This. I collect vintage desktop fans, and the plastic parts on them are hard and brittle as a rule. To the point of crumbling under finger pressure. Unless they’re made of Bakelite, which is a precursor to what we call “plastics” - then they can be pretty solid even after 100 years.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, during the ban, as long as one original part remained form a preban mag, you were allowed to “repair” them with new parts. IDK if that holds true in the states that still have bans in place but it might be worth looking into. You might be able to sell those to someone behind enemy lines vs. tossing them in the bin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom