VA tried to take vets gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you that the VA may have gotten "orders" from the white house directly or indirectly? If that happened what would happen if they didn't implement such policy?

You need to do some reading on this subject. It's been bandied about for the last several years....and keeps popping back up.

The VA is not confiscating guns. Period.

Congress does need to take a look, and action, on the process the VA uses...but their are no "secret orders" to the VA to start taking guns.

Find me one vet, who wasn't nuts, who's had their guns confiscated by the VA or taken as a result of the VA's reporting to NICS.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to do some reading on this subject. It's been bandied about for the last several years....and keeps popping back up.

The VA is not confiscating guns. Period.

Congress does need to take a look, and action, on the process the VA uses...but their are no "secret orders" to the VA to start taking guns.

Find me one vet, who wasn't nuts, who's had their guns confiscated by the VA or taken as a result of the VA's reporting to NICS.

Okay I just read this:

Under 18 U.S.C. 922(g) and Public Law 103-159, the Brady Handgun Violence Protection Act, as implemented by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms regulation 27 CFR Part 478.32, those individuals found by VA to be incompetent to contract or handle their VA affairs are permanently prohibited from purchasing or redeeming firearms. A finding by VA that you are incompetent will place you in this group who may not purchase firearms.

Do a google search on the following: m21-1mr part iii subpart v chapter 9
It will take you to a word doc on www.benefits.va.gov. This quoted text I place above is an cut/paste from "Sample language for an incompetency due process notice". Look up that regulation and it will be on page 9-B-17.

They may get due process but the bureaucracy and hoops involved in the whole matter are mind boggling. I have no doubt that the FBI will return guns after however many years it takes to achieve a positive outcome in said due process.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, and none of that equals gun confiscation by the VA. The VA, or any other agency is not showing up a veterans doors to take them.

The VA is reporting Vets to NICS, as required by federal law. Period. The process they use to determine who gets reported does need to be reviewed. But running around screaming "the VA is coming to take your guns" just distracts from the issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, and none of that equals gun confiscation by the VA. The VA, or any other agency is not showing up a veterans doors to take them.

The VA is reporting Vets to NICS, as required by federal law. Period. The process they use to determine who gets reported does need to be reviewed. But running around screaming "the VA is coming to take your guns" just distracts from the issue.

I hear what you are saying, but if they instigate the process what difference does it make which alphabet agency takes them? It's just a vulnerable subset that is available to castigate for owning firearms and it shouldn't be happening or even be able to happen.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find me a single report of an otherwise mentally stable vet having his guns confiscated as a result of VA action in the last 5 years...

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/08/foghorn/breaking-va-tries-to-confiscate-disabled-vets-guns-stopped-by-citizens-and-sheriff-standing-guard/
BREAKING: VA Tries to Confiscate Disabled Vet’s Guns, Stopped by Citizens and Sheriff Standing Guard
By Nick Leghorn on August 7, 2015

..."The VA confirmed that they sent the man a letter, but they deny that the VA has the power to confiscate guns from anyone. Which is true - the VA has reportedly been working with the FBI as their muscle to perform the actual confiscations. From the article on that particular issue:

A memo from February of 2012 was first obtained by the Daily Caller and titled “MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS AND THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION REGARDING THE NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM,” has been causing quite the stir.

This particular memo dictates that the VA must submit veterans health-related information to the FBI by way of encrypted compact disc and mailed quarterly. It states that the records will be used to update the NICS or National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

A separate document revealed that the VA provides a monthly list of veterans who have been rated by the VA as incapable of managing their VA benefits. A simple act of changing ones banking information could get a veteran on this list, as well as refusal to take the VA prescribed
pills."...

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find me a single report of an otherwise mentally stable vet having his guns confiscated as a result of VA action in the last 5 years...

5 years? You should qualify for mod position here on OSA sir! We have no constitution.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

For chrissakes, you and your semantics.... Fine, they're not coming to "take their guns", they're just coming to make the decision on whether or not vets can continue to purchase them or not. The VA shouldn't have this power, they are not judge nor jury and until those vets appear in a court of law THERE IS NO DUE PROCESS. It's still curbing vets rights to the 2nd amendment and it's gun control plain and simple. You want to make the argument that this is no big deal, okay, whatever. You might have better luck selling that crap on a occupy democrats forum than you will here.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, he didn't have a letter from the Va saying they were coming to his home to inspect it for weapons,....... I challenge anyone to find the letter.

I'm going off of what this guy said in the article. Here's the news piece. His friend says he got a letter, the vet in question says he got a letter, there's a letter in his hand in the interview all though we can't see exactly what it says but I highly doubt so many people are just reading it incorrectly. But here's the news blurb with the letter in his hand. If you think he's lying, then it's YOUR challenge to prove it.

http://link.brightcove.com/services...mqlyV7TcX6Pjnp2iRPvxygdzi&bctid=4404635577001

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, semantics. Ok.

The VA is not deciding whether or not vets can continue to purchase guns or not. They are complying with public law that requires them to report certain individuals to NICS based on determinations of mental competence (that determination does not revolve around competence with firearms at all), as all federal agencies are required to do.

The problem (yes, there is a problem and I never said it wasn't a big deal) is the standards being used to determine competence and the due process afforded those facing that determination (there is due process, but it's not very thorough). The letters are real, but they say nothing about the VA taking guns. They advise the veteran that whatever claim they are filing could result in a determination of mental incompetence, which could in-turn affect their ability to purchase firearms. Period. I've received one myself.

Not sure why that's so hard to understand...or why it's hard to understand that untruthful articles about "VA gun confiscation has started in Idaho" and armed standoffs with non-existent VA gun grabbers doesn't really help.

Instead of writing our congressmen reasoned, articulate letters explain the real problem, or sending money to veterans advocate groups, we react to click bait articles of some podunk sheriff standing in front of a vets house to protect him from a gun grab that was never going to happen in the first place. We beat our chests, yell 'Merica, and go back to looking at titties on TV.

How many times have any of you written your congressman or taken any other grassroots action on this issue since the stories and mystery letters started flying around 5 years ago (or more)?

Latest posts

Top Bottom