Vacation advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are doing the Alaska cruise thing in August. We vetoed Seattle all together and are going out of Vancouver. Which I hear is slightly better/safer. We are flying though.
Vancouver BC or WA?

Vancouver BC had all of Seattle Fent junky problems before it was cool

Plus it is full of degenerate Canadian subhumans

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The Couv used to be the bomb but that was 30+ years ago. Vancouver Island was always kinda fun but real redneck on most of it.

In Post Alley in the market close to 1st and Virgina is a great Irish pub, I forgot the name, I'm assuming it's still there. You walk down though the breezeway between 1st and Post Alley about 15ft south of the Virginia Inn. You follow the drunks once you get in the Alley. I know the Virginia Inn is still there on the corner too.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Couv used to be the bomb but that was 30+ years ago. Vancouver Island was always kinda fun but real redneck on most of it.

In Post Alley in the market close to 1st and Virgina is a great Irish pub, I forgot the name, I'm assuming it's still there. You walk down though the breezeway between 1st and Post Alley about 15ft south of the Virginia Inn. You follow the drunks once you get in the Alley. I know the Virginia Inn is still there on the corner too.
The Owl and Thistle, great bar and still open. The owner use to also own Galway Arms, which was the first bar I went to in Seattle. It saved me during poverty with the $5 pint and burger special. The Galway got sold to the staff and became The Kracken. It just closed. I am surprised the Owl is still there, it's one of the last parts of real Seattle left.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Sorry @Okiedog , didn't mean to hijack your thread with reminicsning.

Per what I said on the road trip up the coast, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice not going up the King's Highway (101) through SLO and Paso, then over on 46 to 1 and hit all the places @HillsideDesolate pointed out. Stay a night at the Paso Robles Inn (they're built on a hot spring). The Sequoia NF is north of there to the east. You have to have a full tank of gas before you enter.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In early May, the wife and I are taking a driving trip from Okla to Seattle and cruise to Alaska. We're old , fat, and non-partyers. Those days are long gone. Planning on stopping in Vegas, Hoover Dam, Sequoia Natl Park, Fisherman's Wharf (her idea). Then heading north on Hwy 1. Looking for other do's and don'ts, places to see or avoid. Nothing planned on return trip. We've been to Yellowstone, Glacier, and several places in southern CO. All info appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
The Grand Canyon is on the way to Vegas and some of the National Parks in Utah are only a couple of hours from Vegas.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m always a little jealous when folks talk about vacationing. The last vacation my family went on was in the summer of 1999 when we went to Red River for my brother’s wedding. My wife and daughter go to the beach in Alabama or Florida every summer for a few days, but I’ve never been able to go with them.
Y’all have fun, and I’ll live vicariously through you. :thumb:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna miss the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival which ends April 30. Largest producer of tulips outside of Holland. There’s also a quaint little town right at the WA/Canadian border called Lynden it’s a Dutch community with neat little shops. If you’ll be near Tillamook, Oregon you can take a tour of the cheese factory and there is also on at WSU ….. Go Cougars
1677368159378.png

I forgot. There’s a place in Victoria, BC called Butchart Gardens that’s definitely worth a visit. The Butchart Gardens – Over 100 Years in Bloom – Victoria, Canada

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m always a little jealous when folks talk about vacationing. The last vacation my family went on was in the summer of 1999 when we went to Red River for my brother’s wedding. My wife and daughter go to the beach in Alabama or Florida every summer for a few days, but I’ve never been able to go with them.
Y’all have fun, and I’ll live vicariously through you. :thumb:

That’s kind of sad. We only go on a “real vacation” every 4-5 years. But, once or twice a year we’ll usually do a long weekend here or there within a days drive of Tulsa. Something just to break up the monotony and something to look forward to.
We save a little coin every month to be able to pay for it up front.
Cruise, except for some hotel nights before/after, food and excursions is all paid for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom