Vacation advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have family on Bremerton Island and have been up there a few times. Despite getting sick and having my appendix taken out in Victoria Canada one time that place was beautiful and highly recommend.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I can't speak to conditions in California, when we were in Oregon for 17 months back in 2016 to 2017, we considered going down to San Francisco to see Golden Gate Park. (The wife has never gotten to see it.) However, after hearing that ANY SUV would be a target for a break-in, we opted to not go.

We really liked seeing the 5 national parks in Utah, but it took us a week to "really see" Canyonlands, Arches, and Capitol Reef. Also, up along the coastal highway in Oregon is a beautiful drive.

That said, without knowing a bit more of what you and the wife like to see, it is hard to suggest much. If you chose to go through Southern Utah and go north from there, one could go up to I-84 in Idaho and over to the Columbia River Gorge before going on up to Seattle. If you did go CRG, drive the Oregon side of the gorge to get to see more waterfalls.

If interested, check out my Smugmug link in my signature area to see photos of a number of the places we visited in our travels.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue anywhere or in SF and my dumb butt took a wrong turn and was walking through the tenderloin district, by myself at night, with my luggage, laptop, etc. Pays to meet the profile of the only crime victim police might actually investigate in SF. Such a weird place, not sure I want to go back. I’d never think of driving in SF.

Seattle has marginally more property crime than Tulsa and less violent crime. Less violent crime than OKC too. Use the same rules as everywhere, don’t be an idiot, don’t look like an easy target, don’t leave stuff in the open.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue anywhere or in SF and my dumb butt took a wrong turn and was walking through the tenderloin district, by myself at night, with my luggage, laptop, etc. Pays to meet the profile of the only crime victim police might actually investigate in SF. Such a weird place, not sure I want to go back. I’d never think of driving in SF.

Seattle has marginally more property crime than Tulsa and less violent crime. Less violent crime than OKC too. Use the same rules as everywhere, don’t be an idiot, don’t look like an easy target, don’t leave stuff in the open.
Good advice, but I will add that the official crime rate of Seattle does not apply as the police do not respond to the majority of crime, car prowl, theft under $1000, trespass etc. There are also prohibited from responding to "on sight" incidents and can only respond to 911 calls. Many people don't call the police because you are just told to fill out an online report. Down town Seattle is officially a "danger zone" where there will not be a single officer response and all incidents including fire and medics will be at least 3 police units. Also there are straight no go zones for cops, if they do enter they are stacked up with rifles. In Seattle even the firefighters and medical wear body armor. It is really a shame because only about 10-15 years ago it was one of the safest cities in the country.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, but you’re scary looking…😂

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Avoid Calif. is my advice. Spend you $$$$ in Oklahoma and take in all the things it has to offer. Our you can make a side trip to God's country and visit Tombstone, where the weather's nice year round. then we have some local wineries in Cochise County, then a trip up to the Grand Canyon, BTW... We welcome Gun Owners! Not like Calif!

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Avoid Calif. is my advice. Spend you $$$$ in Oklahoma and take in all the things it has to offer. Our you can make a side trip to God's country and visit Tombstone, where the weather's nice year round. then we have some local wineries in Cochise County, then a trip up to the Grand Canyon, BTW... We welcome Gun Owners! Not like Calif!
Dat ocean tho

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
In early May, the wife and I are taking a driving trip from Okla to Seattle and cruise to Alaska. We're old , fat, and non-partyers. Those days are long gone. Planning on stopping in Vegas, Hoover Dam, Sequoia Natl Park, Fisherman's Wharf (her idea). Then heading north on Hwy 1. Looking for other do's and don'ts, places to see or avoid. Nothing planned on return trip. We've been to Yellowstone, Glacier, and several places in southern CO. All info appreciated.
Thanks, Jim
sounds like a great trip, good for you! We have done all these things, and my favorate thing I saw in California is the GIANT A SEQUOIA TREES, in Sequoia B National park! and it's not far from Yosemite NP, but I undewrstand you must have reservations to get into Yosemite NP. now? If you guys don't have a NP senior pass, that covers all the entry fees, to all NP's, that is a really good idea! We got ours at SS. office in Tulsa years ago!.

Latest posts

Top Bottom