Vacation advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In early May, the wife and I are taking a driving trip from Okla to Seattle and cruise to Alaska. We're old , fat, and non-partyers. Those days are long gone. Planning on stopping in Vegas, Hoover Dam, Sequoia Natl Park, Fisherman's Wharf (her idea). Then heading north on Hwy 1. Looking for other do's and don'ts, places to see or avoid. Nothing planned on return trip. We've been to Yellowstone, Glacier, and several places in southern CO. All info appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This might not be a good time to drive the 1, at least not all the way. It's always getting buried or falling into the sea.

If you do go thataway, try getting to SLO via the 101 and stop in Paso Roble for a day on the way north, see Hearst Castle, maybe a winery, and hit Cool Hand Lukes for a steak.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Since you have to go to Seattle you might as well visit the homeless encampments, oh I mean Pike Place. Don't forget, no guns! Your parked car will become a 2A donation center.
Yeah, I think the market, Post alley, and Western have all become sh*tholes. I heard Pioneer Square was horrible. My buddies that are down in Yelm and such say they don't even go into King County any longer if they can help it.

Lock up your stuff and guns get hidden away or left home.

Make sure to go out to the Peninsula and check the ancient woods. Really cool. If you do hit the Market, go to the brewery and for chow, go to the pier just down from the Market and head south for 50-100ish yard and go to the Ivars. You could actually spend a week doing stuff in the market if you're an explorer.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
while you are in Seattle be sure to visit Pike street market. and visit one of the close restaurants to eat some real fresh seafood that was alive just before you ordered it. edit edit---- it has been many many years since i was there so things might not be the same????????? the floating bridge was cool and the floating houses too. i toured boeing also and then there was the valley of fire just a short drive out of vegas were the indians hid from the cavalry. the extinct volcano just outside of seattle was cool and the rain forest

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the market, Post alley, and Western have all become sh*tholes. I heard Pioneer Square was horrible. My buddies that are down in Yelm and such say they don't even go into King County any longer if they can help it.

Lock up your stuff and guns get hidden away or left home.

Make sure to go out to the Peninsula and check the ancient woods. Really cool. If you do hit the Market, go to the brewery and for chow, go to the pier just down from the Market and head south for 50-100ish yard and go to the Ivars. You could actually spend a week doing stuff in the market if you're an explorer.
Pioneer Square is a no go zone. The Market itself is still relatively safe, it has security that tosses the bums out but keeps just enough urban vibe. The surrounding area not so much but 3rd and pine has always been bad. I find the pike brewery to be meh, Le Pichet would be my go to Pike Market restaurant. I would recommend taking the water taxi across Elliot Bay to West Seattle, hit Marination Mai Kai or Sally's for happy hour and walk to Alki Beach It's the last Seattle part of Seattle.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/101 is the drive of a lifetime. If nothing else hit the section between SLO and San fran. Hearst castle, Big Sur, Monterey aquarium. Oregon coast is nice too, but be advised the route is pretty slow going.

As for San Fran, I haven't been there in over 15 years but it has always been a city so dirty that you trip and skin your knee and wind up with hepatitis. It has gotten much worse. I would definitely not leave a car with my travel supplies anywhere in the city and express I ally not at the warf. In fact I would advise not driving in the city at all and taking the BART in. There is beauty there but the warf is pretty over rated. Monterey Bay has everything it has and is better and safer.

Sequoia/Kings canyon is pretty cool but a bit off your path and if you are on that side of the state might as well also se.Yosemite about 2 hours north. California has coast and mountains but not both. I recommend Mount Rainer in WA. To me it is more awe inspiring than all three other parks.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you go near Seattle, you might want to go to Whidby Island, it's safe and has a lot to see, many small towns and you can get on a ferry and go to several islands very reasonable and have some of that clam chowder. I've never had such good chowder elsewhere plus, you can see Orcas if you're lucky.

Latest posts

Top Bottom