Vacation advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1/101 is the drive of a lifetime. If nothing else hit the section between SLO and San fran. Hearst castle, Big Sur, Monterey aquarium. Oregon coast is nice too, but be advised the route is pretty slow going.

As for San Fran, I haven't been there in over 15 years but it has always been a city so dirty that you trip and skin your knee and wind up with hepatitis. It has gotten much worse. I would definitely not leave a car with my travel supplies anywhere in the city and express I ally not at the warf. In fact I would advise not driving in the city at all and taking the BART in. There is beauty there but the warf is pretty over rated. Monterey Bay has everything it has and is better and safer.

Sequoia/Kings canyon is pretty cool but a bit off your path and if you are on that side of the state might as well also se.Yosemite about 2 hours north. California has coast and mountains but not both. I recommend Mount Rainer in WA. To me it is more awe inspiring than all three other parks.
It is that. Years ago we did the whole PCH on our Harley's. So glad we made the trip before so many of the areas we visited turned into the cesspools they are now.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Northern California, I recommend checking out the Napa area. Some cool shops and restaurants, and beautiful scenery. Maybe take a look at the calendar and see if there’s a vintage race at Sonoma or book a wine tour? If you don’t wanna go that far inland, I recommend Stinson beach just outside of SF. Enjoy the drive through the hills to Stinson beach and make sure to pull off and take pics of the golden gate.

In Oregon, check out the Tillamook farm, grab some fresh ice cream and cheese. Maybe stop by Canon Beach, really beautiful area.

In Washington, check out Mt. Rainier and downtown Seattle. There’s some long term construction right by pike place market that won’t be done til next year, but still go and check out the shops. Kerry park is beautiful and should provide great views in may. If you wanna look like a local, grab a quick shake and burger from Dicks. If you have time, I also recommend Deception pass, and Snoqualmie falls. If you can make it further north, the Hoh rainforest and lake crescent are amazing.

As others have mentioned, theft and homelessness are historically high in the greater PNW area these days, but if you park in smart areas, usually the pay for parking places, don’t look like a lost tourist, and don’t have valuables on display on your person or in your car, you’ll be fine. Downtown Seattle and downtown SF are the hot areas for theft, but we’ve never had problems following common sense rules.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Northern California, I recommend checking out the Napa area. Some cool shops and restaurants, and beautiful scenery. Maybe take a look at the calendar and see if there’s a vintage race at Sonoma or book a wine tour? If you don’t wanna go that far inland, I recommend Stinson beach just outside of SF. Enjoy the drive through the hills to Stinson beach and make sure to pull off and take pics of the golden gate.

In Oregon, check out the Tillamook farm, grab some fresh ice cream and cheese. Maybe stop by Canon Beach, really beautiful area.

In Washington, check out Mt. Rainier and downtown Seattle. There’s some long term construction right by pike place market that won’t be done til next year, but still go and check out the shops. Kerry park is beautiful and should provide great views in may. If you wanna look like a local, grab a quick shake and burger from Dicks. If you have time, I also recommend Deception pass, and Snoqualmie falls. If you can make it further north, the Hoh rainforest and lake crescent are amazing.

As others have mentioned, theft and homelessness are historically high in the greater PNW area these days, but if you park in smart areas, usually the pay for parking places, don’t look like a lost tourist, and don’t have valuables on display on your person or in your car, you’ll be fine. Downtown Seattle and downtown SF are the hot areas for theft, but we’ve never had problems following common sense rules.
Good advice. I miss getting a Dick's Deluxe so bad, but overall forgot all about dicks when I met Braums

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many covered some of the recommendations I had but I will add. Check and double check the conditions on Hwy 1. CA has had a ton of severe weather storms this winter bringing record amounts of rain. Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Monterrey is a very slow drive with normal conditions. Very windy/curvey and when heavy rain hit there are almost guaranteed landslides that cover or all together take out the Hwy. These are not quick or easy repairs and can lead to years of road construction. The drive can be exceptionally pretty but do yourself a favor and check road condition.

If you do get on Hwy 1 at San Luis Obispo you will do yourself a disservice if you don't tour Hearst Castle. Incredible!

If you do see Kings and Sequoia NP you may try to get into Yosemite NP but that place is an absolute zoo of people and I believe you may need reservations to get in.

My recommendation is to skip a lot of I-40 and head up to southern Utah and take a couple days to drive through all the national parks/monuments in that area. Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef. Your really need at least a week to see it all so you aren't rushed. We drove the route through all these locations from Zion NP through to Durango, CO. IT was a long drive but very well worth it. Zion is absolutely amazing and for your trip is not too far from Vegas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sad it has to be that way. We've never driven there, but will never visit the Pacific NW again.
We have taken cruises through there and it was horrible with the rude and homeless folks in there.
Nobody has the courtesy to move to the side when walking through the area when they are three abreast and we are two. Way too many commifornika liberals there as well.
Our last cruise was from OKC to Anchorage, then a train trip to Seward to load up on the ship bypassing the NW of the US, choosing to fly back home to from Vancouver.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna miss the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival which ends April 30. Largest producer of tulips outside of Holland. There’s also a quaint little town right at the WA/Canadian border called Lynden it’s a Dutch community with neat little shops. If you’ll be near Tillamook, Oregon you can take a tour of the cheese factory and there is also on at WSU ….. Go Cougars View attachment 352423
I forgot. There’s a place in Victoria, BC called Butchart Gardens that’s definitely worth a visit. The Butchart Gardens – Over 100 Years in Bloom – Victoria, Canada
Skagit Valley may be the most beautiful place in the world.

I saw Trump speak in Lynden, he started talking about "my good friend Tom Brady" and everyone booed. Neat town though and great dairy with real glass bottle milk. Stores stopped selling it in Seattle because bums would steal it all to pour it our and get the bottle deposit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom