Valley Brook Police Chief claims they are not running a speed trap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are writing tickets they know they can get easy convictions and limited struggle in court. Suspended/revoked license, no proof of insurance or expired tag are slam dunks in court. The high percentage of warnings are no indication of their generosity. They simply stopped someone, told them they were speeding, found they had a had valid license and no outstanding warrants and released them on their way. I would like to see data on what the reason was for stopping drivers that they ultimately found they had a suspended/revoked license. If they are simply making up reasons to stop people and hope they have an expired license, that is BS.

BB, I think the state tries to monitor towns that write to many tickets along state highways and interstates. I remember some town getting slapped for it several years ago, but I dont remember the details.

I'm glad that they are removing uninsured vehicles from the roads. The pervy pervs can ride bicycles to titty land.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are writing tickets they know they can get easy convictions and limited struggle in court. Suspended/revoked license, no proof of insurance or expired tag are slam dunks in court. The high percentage of warnings are no indication of their generosity. They simply stopped someone, told them they were speeding, found they had a had valid license and no outstanding warrants and released them on their way. I would like to see data on what the reason was for stopping drivers that they ultimately found they had a suspended/revoked license. If they are simply making up reasons to stop people and hope they have an expired license, that is BS.

BB, I think the state tries to monitor towns that write to many tickets along state highways and interstates. I remember some town getting slapped for it several years ago, but I dont remember the details.

Of course they're slam dunks... if their driving while susp/revoked they are guilty? But your assuming bad conduct on the officers part. I agree that the data needs to be looked at but I think its a stretch to jump straight to bad cop/no donut.
That department has definitely had its issues, but the two times ive been stopped there the officers have been polite and professional. Both times were before I got back into law enforcement and both I was guilty. Only once was I cited.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Stopping them for expired tag is almost a guarantee that either their license or insurance will be out of date too.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The times a small town was in trouble policing like this, it was handled by the overseeing county, not cleet or OSBO. See Boynton and Shamrock.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was the purview of DPS (OHP) 'til a few years ago when an ex-OHP Trooper got himself elected to the Legislature and introduced (and, IIRC, got passed) a bill removing the state's "speed trap" statute. I think it happened in '06, but don't quote me.

My cousin's inlaws had a running battle with the Asher PD about their speed trap. Every day, they'd put up a sign (on 39, IIRC) about the speed trap and every night Asher officers would take it down (rinse and repeat). I never did hear the full story, but I think the Asher PD finally gave in and stopped writing tickets for 1MPH over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom