Verdegris and Arkansas river report?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never been out in the area, looking at spending a few days on the verdegris river between the port of catoosa and the Arkansas river, and the Arkansas river between Muskogee and i40 sometime this month. How’s the water? How’s the fishing? I’m getting my Jon boat finished the next few days and want to go out for a few.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I boat fished that river I put in at Gore and I have never been skunked when boat fishing.
Not hard to get your limit by days end or even mid day this time of year.

You need a shad net as those darn catfish there do not care for much of anything else.
Catalpa works works well.
Bomber model A crawdad color will land fish.
Poppers tossed next to the feeder creek mouths and along brush piles will get a bass.

I have been wanting to go there but I have a goal of learning to catfish Tbird as well as that Arkansas river system.

If you camp on the shore and run a trot line you should check it every 30-45 minutes or you will have a lot of empty slimy hooks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a piece on Outdoor Oklahoma this weekend about catfishing after flooding. He used cut shad and fishing worms, and he was catching a bunch of blues and channel cats fishing from the bank. I don’t remember for sure where he was fishing, but I think it was part of the Arkansas River system.

ETA: here’s the video.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There was a piece on Outdoor Oklahoma this weekend about catfishing after flooding. He used cut shad and fishing worms, and he was catching a bunch of blues and channel cats fishing from the bank. I don’t remember for sure where he was fishing, but I think it was part of the Arkansas River system.

ETA: here’s the video.

Just happened to see that one this weekend, he was at Texoma, 2003. Fish still bite the same as in 2003 though lol.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I boat fished that river I put in at Gore and I have never been skunked when boat fishing.
Not hard to get your limit by days end or even mid day this time of year.

You need a shad net as those darn catfish there do not care for much of anything else.
Catalpa works works well.
Bomber model A crawdad color will land fish.
Poppers tossed next to the feeder creek mouths and along brush piles will get a bass.

I have been wanting to go there but I have a goal of learning to catfish Tbird as well as that Arkansas river system.

If you camp on the shore and run a trot line you should check it every 30-45 minutes or you will have a lot of empty slimy hooks.
Thanks for the info!
Looking at three different spots to launch/camp near. Star lake, gore, and I think greenleaf or Stoney point.

I’m bringing the cast net. Bought it on my trip out to North Carolina, still trying to get my throw down.

I may put out a few limb lines or jugs, I use circle hooks on them, but I’ll be sure to keep a close eye.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others said shad is a must, but other fresh fish work pretty well too. You can dangle a shabiki rig and the fish that bite that are great bait.
I’ll give it a shot. I typically go after flatheads when catfishing, and use bluegill. I really want to get a eating size gar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom