Boat leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, leaks in the ol jon yacht are to be expected. And typically easy enough to find/fix. However, I know nothing about ski boats. And my father-in-law’s Sea Ray 185 seems to have a leak. Bought it last year, it’s a 2010 model or so, but only has about 120 hours on it. Immaculate condition. Has one of those Mercury v6 inboards, with a mercruiser outboard/lower unit?? Looks an awful lot like a Chevy 4.3 to me. I don’t understand what the nomenclature of these inboard boats are really. However, it was stored out of the water over the winter. During “boating season” it is kept on a covered lift/dock. Due to the size of the lift and the boat, the back 3 feet of the boat is typically in the water when it’s parked, about 6-8” up on the hull.

Today we pulled the boat entirely out of the water, I checked the underside. No damage, no cracks, no holes. Checked the plug, looks great, no issues. Drained about 5 gallons of water out. It seems that the bilge pump kicks on every 5-10 minutes or so when out. I don’t see anywhere that water could be coming in, except perhaps the place between the lower unit and the engine?? How it that set up? I imagine there’s some sort of a seal and/or gasket setup between the two? Ideas? Suggestions? How likely is it to happen in that area?

IMG_2286.jpeg

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These have rubber bellows that flex with the drive when raised and lowered. Look closely and you can see an accordion looking thing behind the drive. There are two.
How likely is it to leak? If never changed since 2010, very likely. Should be changed every 5 years and sometimes more. And be glad you're not in salt water.

For starters:watch
Skip to 3:20

Last edited:

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes it will be the shift or u-joint bellows. Both you will have to pull the out drive to replace. wall your at it replace the u joints on the drive shaft and drive shaft bearing. I bet they are water logged too.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wut they sed.

Fix it now or just wait till it gets really bad. They all leak, eventually. Some, always do. That's why the bilge pump is on auto.

Side note: that most likely is a 4.3 V6. They put them in lots of boats.

Wif's Granddad never had a problem with his boat, until he put it in salt water ONE TIME. It had a slow leak from then on.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talked to my father in law, turns out the boat is a 2003, and he looked through all of the immaculate record keeping, saw nothing about replacing that stuff. So I’m hoping that we can hold off until my broken hand is no longer broken, and we’ll pull that puppy out of the water and redo the bellows and ujoints/ whatever other wear parts are back there.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These have rubber bellows that flex with the drive when raised and lowered. Look closely and you can see an accordion looking thing behind the drive. There are two.
How likely is it to leak? If never changed since 2010, very likely. Should be changed every 5 years and sometimes more. And be glad you're not in salt water.

For starters:watch
Skip to 3:20
Bellows is split somewhere

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was gonna say bellows lol
Talked to my father in law, turns out the boat is a 2003, and he looked through all of the immaculate record keeping, saw nothing about replacing that stuff. So I’m hoping that we can hold off until my broken hand is no longer broken, and we’ll pull that puppy out of the water and redo the bellows and ujoints/ whatever other wear parts are back there.
yup change the bellows/ujoints/gimbal bearing/lower unit oil/check the prop shaft seal/etc

When you’re done you should be all set for several years!

I don’t much care for I/O boats. Used to have one with same engine and drive that your father in laws has. I much prefer an outboard

Latest posts

Top Bottom