To go lunches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did not want to dirty up another thread about wanting a cooler for lunch items.
My wife likes coolers for stuff though.
I lived without them for decades.

I always brown bagged it when I went to work.
Whole oats straight from the Quaker oat cardboard drum was always at the ready.
A couple heaping big spoons of that eaten dry and then drink water throughout the day will keep you full for hours.
Can of green beans and a can of tuna fish when I was splurging.
I never needed refrigerated things in a box for some reason.

When I was in my teens and would head out to fish all day I would pack egg sandwiches to eat.
I would make at least 4 of them.
Fried egg with busted yolk on white bread with mayo and sweet pickle relish.
I would keep these in the plastic bread sack that the bread comes in and keep them in the shade.

Never got sick.
I can't remember taking anything to drink. This was before bottle water and I know I did not take soda.
Probably drank the lake/pond or river water as I have done that many times.

What is your to go lunch or what did you eat as a teen to go out by yourself????

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really depends, as I hate eating lunch if I am not getting paid, or working less than a 10 hour shift, so I usually don't. Big breakfast, take a snack to work, and then make it to dinner.

But otherwise old faithful for me is leftovers. Prevents me from having to prepare lunch in the morning, when I am usually just trying to get dressed and drink coffee. Every lunchroom and gas station in the US has a microwave, and I usually kept a camping stove and pan in my service truck when I couldn't get to one of those.

I'm a big sucker for sandwiches sometimes, but I get burned out on them easy and hate making them in the mornings. Baloney and pimento cheese on white wonder bread, tuna salad with eggs on the heartiest whole wheat you can find, or peanut butter and bananas are my go tos.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It really depends, as I hate eating lunch if I am not getting paid, or working less than a 10 hour shift, so I usually don't. Big breakfast, take a snack to work, and then make it to dinner.

But otherwise old faithful for me is leftovers. Prevents me from having to prepare lunch in the morning, when I am usually just trying to get dressed and drink coffee. Every lunchroom and gas station in the US has a microwave, and I usually kept a camping stove and pan in my service truck when I couldn't get to one of those.

I'm a big sucker for sandwiches sometimes, but I get burned out on them easy and hate making them in the mornings. Baloney and pimento cheese on white wonder bread, tuna salad with eggs on the heartiest whole wheat you can find, or peanut butter and bananas are my go tos.

I was on a sandwich kick for awhile before I started carnivore.

Wheat sub rolls from Walmart bakery. Sargento Pepperjack. Hellmans Mayo. Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Lunch Meat.

IMG_2600.jpeg
IMG_2598.jpeg
IMG_2601.jpeg
IMG_2599.jpeg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fresh wold blackberries covered with goat's milk and a bit of sugar was my treat. Scratched arms wasn't such a treat from picking the berries.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fresh blackberries....scratched arms wasn't such a treat from picking the berries.
Just the word blackberries sends chills up my spine.

I was picking blackberries in a secret patch up around Harrah one year and saw some big thumb size berries way back in the really thick stuff so I fought my way back to them cussing all the way from getting scratched up and just as I was getting within arms reach all hell broke loose......big hornets or yellow jackets came shooting out of a hole in the ground and started stinging me all over my neck, head and arms and I was plowing through the thorns as fast as I could trying to get away from them.....they chased me about 30 or 40 yards before they figured that I was no longer a threat and I ended up with around 6 to 8 stings.

I was wearing a brand new Bass Pro cap and I could see it not far from where they attacked me and my smart a$$ed buddy looks over at me and says, "hey bubba ain't you going back to get your cap ?".....I dam near committed murder that day. :)

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not needing a cooler got me thinking. I think my mom told me this story. She had a friend that went to college at NSU. The kid’s mom would mail fried chicken to him from their home in Bixby.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom