Virgin Islands Gun Seizures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the Gov't be allowed to seize Firearms to support the National Guards efforts?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 100.0%
  • Depends on the Incident

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard a few things about guns and ammo being confiscated, or that they could, would, should be confiscated, BUT the one thing I haven't heard yet is from anyone who's weapon and/or ammunition actually was confiscated.

Until I hear from someone's personal experience that this actually happened, I'll just rack all this crap up to nothing more than puttin' the cart before the horse.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard a few things about guns and ammo being confiscated, or that they could, would, should be confiscated, BUT the one thing I haven't heard yet is from anyone who's weapon and/or ammunition actually was confiscated.

Until I hear from someone's personal experience that this actually happened, I'll just rack all this crap up to nothing more than puttin' the cart before the horse.

The question is whether intense public pressure prevented it from happening? I listened to the Tucker Carlson interview with the USVI governor, and nothing he said in any way matched the order he signed. IOW, he was lying his ass off to obscure the intent of what he signed. There is absolutely no way whatsoever to interchange "purchase" with "confiscate", but that's exactly what he tried to do. :(

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not surprising:
U.S. Virgin Islands spent money intended to help after hurricanes
(Reuters) - The U.S. Virgin Islands for years redirected money intended to help pay insurance claims after large disasters for other needs, raising the vulnerability of residents as Hurricane Irma ravishes the territory.

During years of yawning budget deficits, the U.S. protectorate tapped the V.I. Insurance Guaranty Fund to pay for other public services, according to government financial records reviewed by Reuters. Since 2007, nearly $200 million was transferred from the fund, including $45 million in fiscal 2011....

IIn 2012, government leaders reduced the minimum balance of its insurance guaranty fund to $10 million from $50 million. The fund earns about $16 million annually in revenue.

Territory officials could not be reached for comment on Wednesday. In response to questions from Reuters about the fund in late July, government officials responded that it had “borrowed money from time to time, but this has not been an issue.”...

For years the Virgin Islands sold debt to help fund essential public services and budget gaps. With just over 100,000 inhabitants, the protectorate now owes $2 billion to bondholders and creditors.

As of August, the Virgin Islands government had about three days’ cash to pay for operations, according to rating agencies.

In response to the downgrades, the Virgin Islands government said it was “aggressively and proactively” cutting spending and increasing revenues through more stringent tax collections and new so-called “sin taxes” on liquor, cigarettes and sugary drinks.

U.S. Virgin Islands government still owes money for damages and services racked up during previous storms, according to financial statements published in June.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...tended-to-help-after-hurricanes-idUSKCN1BH38I

Latest posts

Top Bottom