Virgin Islands Gun Seizures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the Gov't be allowed to seize Firearms to support the National Guards efforts?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 100.0%
  • Depends on the Incident

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't the "I lost all my guns in a boating accident" defense be applicable here?

Seriously, unless there is some type of overreaching gun laws in effect in the first place, how would they know you have them?
Not for sure, but if I read an earlier post right, they had a major registration requirement.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the islands require registration, if they are allowed at all.

I know in St. Vincent, we were discussing this a few weeks ago and my father-in-law stated he had to pay an annual registration of something like EC$500 - around $200 US. That is EXTREMELY cost-prohibitive for a lot of those folks - where a lot of folks don't make that much money in a month.

Gives new life to the argument that registration and permits hurt the poor MUCH more than the rich! And that was for a small-caliber semi-auto, like a .32, I think. Owning anything like the collection I have now would not even be considered, never mind the ruinous annual licensure fees.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, one person could stop it if he wanted.

Couldn't President Trump just federalize the Guard and send in marshalls to enforce federal law?

I wouldn't be surprised from this President, honestly.

He can only federalize the guard under certain conditions...in accordance with the posse comitatus act, and since the governor already activated the guard for local use it makes it even harder.

As far as marshals enforcing federal law, it's not an effective solution either because all federal law does not apply to all unincorporated territories. Federal law only applies when deemed by a court, when written into specific legislation or when written into the law that created/governs the territory in question. The governor and the local government have some autonomy...and they elected their governor.

In short, it's far from cut and dried and definitely not the same as dealing with a state government.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure an emergency injunction could be put in place, no? that could happen in a very short period of time.

Any such emergency injunction the government would put in place would conflict with my longstanding emergency preparations. I would resist any such injunction from government with extreme prejudice. Our government consists of people we put in power - people who took an oath to our constitutions of government and have not been given power to disarm us or in any other way rape our personal stores of emergency supplies to fill any gaps due to their lack of foresight or attention to duty in their preparations that it is their duty to fulfill following constitutions, the law, and common sense.

I may be partly responsible for putting such people in power but I am not responsible for their failures. Where they fail, I must carry on. I will not be weakened and forced to proceed through any crisis with less than the preparations I amassed in response to my own foresight, knowledge of the past, knowledge of human nature, and responsibilities to me and mine during times of calm.

Woody

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for the Feral Government getting involved in any law enforcement, the only law enforcement power granted to the Feral Government is to use the militia as proscribed in Article I, Section 8, Clause 15, in the Constitution.

Article IV, Section 4, proscribes how to request aid from the Feral Government against domestic violence. I don't see how death and destruction from a hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or flood, etc., etc., constitutes domestic violence.

Woody

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That may be true, however, I am sure that President Trump has more on his mind right now than intervening in USVI affairs.

what you mean to say is

That may be true, however, I am sure that President Trump has more on his mind right now than protecting the fundamental god-given rights of U.S. citizens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom