Virginia Deer Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it took 4 years but I finally got a deer behind dogs! I don't think I have ever been so excited to shoot a button buck in at least 20 years. It was on the last hunt of the last day.

My in-laws live in Virginia and I am only there every other year. Doing a traditional hunt with dogs has always interested me and I was fortunate enough to meet a stranger who was willing to take me to his club for a hunt. We became good friends and this was the 4th year I have hunted with him.

The basic premise behind these hunt is a group of hunters surrounds a block of timber and then hounds are released to chase the deer thru the woods and hopefully past the standers. Mind you this is not Midwest timber. Rather eastern forest. Which is solid and no breaks/open areas other than logging roads and any new clear cuts which have recently been cut. Even then the clear cuts are thick and overgrown in just a matter of a few years! So it can be quite the challenge.

The hunts are really like no other. When the dogs start balling that's when you get excited because that means they are on scent/deer. For 4 years I heard and saw many deer shot but I was always in the wrong stand or the deer were just out of sight. It seemed it would never happen for me! Finally when it did it was just as I had imagined. The beagles started balling 6-700 yards out. At this point, being late on my last day to hunt , I already assumed the dogs would run them another direction like had happened so many times before. To my surprise the next set of yips came from 4-500 yards out. Then maybe as little as 300. I started getting excited and realized I better get my gun up. Then suddenly I saw a tail bounding thru the thick eastern woods. At his current trajectory I would have an open shot at 70-80 yards which I knew was right at the edge of my effective distance for my 00 buckshot. Amazingly the little buck made a left turn at the perfect moment and headed straight to my stand. At 28 yards my my load of buckshot dropped him in his tracks. I thanked the Lord right then and there for such a blessing and amazing hunt.

A few seconds later these two amazing little beagles, who had done all the hard work, came bounding out of the trees and stopped over my kill. The dog handlers showed up shortly after and I was able to snap this pic before they grabbed the pups and put them away for the day.

ZpXMdpZl.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's certainly a different way to hunt deer. Lots of tradition in that area among dog owners. I was on a different forum a few years back where a couple of guys were from the east coast. One in Virginia and the other in South Carolina. They were very proud of their tradition of running deer with hounds.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm from Va. and hunted for years with hounds many years ago. Back then nobody I knew used Beagles. Everybody used hounds than could run faster. We couldn't use rifles so most people used 12 ga. semiautos with buckshot. I got my first deer the last day of 1969 in Surry Co.. I still have my tag. Usually when the hounds jumped a deer ,it would head for the nearest creek or swamp. In 1962 my uncle killed the second largest deer in the state that year. ElkStalk where were you hunting ?

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very close to Surry county. I was south of Waverly in Sussex county.

Plenty of clubs still use Walker hounds, and honestly those long legged hounds that nobody can catch will probably be the end of dog hunting as we know it. :( The responsible clubs now use beagles. Why? Because they can track just as well, but are A LOT easier to catch so you don't have dogs running wild across your neighbors land. You may or may not know that is a huge source of contention and the cause of many heated debates in deer/dog states.

Oh the deer still head for water, they know where the dogs can't find them. Its amazing how smart those deer are to the dogs. Hundreds of years of being hunted with dogs will do that for you! I believe rifles are legal in that county I hunt but the club I was with only allows buckshot when dogs and handlers are on the ground for safety reasons.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grew up hunting in a "dog running" state (NC) and while I respect the rights of others to get it done with the help of walkers/plotts/beagles etc. I could never get excited over the idea of sitting on my toolbox waiting with my buddies to open fire on the first brown thing that popped out of the tree line. I ran around with a great many dog hunters and still count many of them among my closest friends, but we just see things a bit different when it comes to deer hunting. One thing they always have over me is the fact that their freezers are always full of venison by seasons end.

That said, congratulations on what was clearly an exciting hunt. The dogman in me loves it when i see dogs helping man put meat on the table.

Latest posts

Top Bottom