Was reporter just spinning the story in best light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a sad news story.. but puzzling at the same time. I think the reporter was 'spinning' the story in order to give the kid the best possible rememberance. The guy is described as a former West Point Football player, but he never played in any game for the Point. And he points his .45 at his head to show his 2 friends that the gun was safe. Who in their right mind would ever point a gun at their head to prove it was safe? I wouldn't put the barrel of a gun to my head even if the weapon was completely disassembled.

Goes to show you that can never assume that kids [or people in general] will use good sense concerning guns. You have to spell the safety proceedures out for them over & over again... like never ever point the weapon at your head-- loaded or not. Range officers preach safety over & over... and yet every year there are still significant range accidents. The first few months of Open Carry may turn out to be a experience we won't forget... what with all the newbies getting their handgun license.. who will decide to open carry after only 4 hours & 50 rounds fired on a range as their only experience with a firearm.

---------------------

Former West Point football player dies in accidental shooting at Connecticut home

Published September 15, 2012
FoxNews.com
A Connecticut community is mourning the accidental shooting death of a 22-year-old former West Point football player, whose life story, friends say, was extraordinary.

Marcus Dixon was once a homeless young teenager who made a "180-degree turn" when a family in Stamford, Conn., adopted him at age 17, the Connecticut Post reported. He went on to become the football captain at Stamford High School -- where he graduated from in 2009 -- before making it to West Point.

Dixon died shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday when he accidentally shot himself in the head with his .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, according to local reports. Dixon was showing his gun to two friends at an apartment in Stamford at the time of the incident. He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber.

"I have him in mind when I talk to the kids and tell them that they can achieve what ever they want no matter where they come from," Stamford High School Head Coach Bryan Hocter told the newspaper. "He came from nothing and what he achieved in his life was remarkable."

Dixon used the name Marcus McInerney while at West Point, but did not play any games, according to the Connecticut Post. He reportedly opted out of the football program last year so that he could focus on academics.

Hocter told the newspaper that he last saw Dixon in July at the Stamford Government Center, where the young man was taking an exam to become a police officer.

"He was dressed really nicely, and spoke very well," Hocter told the newspaper. "I told him that I did not recognize him. He said, `Coach, I have grown up and come a long way."

"Marcus had a lot of rough spots in his life and did not have it easy growing up," former Stamford High School football coach Kevin Jones told The Stamford Advocate. "When he came to us there were a lot of things that we needed to address that had nothing to do with football, but we used football as a way to deal with them. The turnaround that kid made is probably the greatest I have ever seen in my 20 years of coaching."

Click for more from the Connecticut Post

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/1...at-connecticut/?test=latestnews#ixzz26ZdeeoE7

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...and they completely gloss over the facts behind him NOT being at West Point anymore. Sad story though.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"He thought it wasn't loaded." Every gun is loaded. Even when it's empty. End of story. It's wierd because I have had the rules ingrained into me from such a young age that they seem like common sense. I sometimes forget that they aren't. Some people simple do not know or follow the rules. And things like this happen and someone will say, "See. We should make owning a gun illegal so things like this don't happen."

I have had the same thing happen though, not to my head, but I unloaded my 10/22. pulled the bolt back, nothing. Point in safe direction away from all people, POW! hole in kitchen door ind bullet into dirt in back yard. If I had gone, "Hurr hurr see its unloaded!" and fired it at my wife or my dog or something, it would have been a real problem. But what I thought was common sense said point away from people and dogs and tvs and self.

Souperphly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first few months of Open Carry may turn out to be a experience we won't forget... what with all the newbies getting their handgun license.. who will decide to open carry after only 4 hours & 50 rounds fired on a range as their only experience with a firearm.

People have been carrying with no more training than the class since '96.(not saying it's a good idea it's just the way it is) I fail to see your point that changing the method of carry will suddenly make the same action less safe.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People have been carrying with no more training than the class since '96.(not saying it's a good idea it's just the way it is) I fail to see your point that changing the method of carry will suddenly make the same action less safe.

My view is that it seems that with every month that goes by.... society as a whole seems to get a little more stupid & devoid of common horse sense. And with concealed carry, the weapon is usually left in a pocket or hidden under clothing... not being fiddled with.

But with open carry, people will be fiddling with their weapons on a regular basis... probably resting their hands on the butt or hooking their thumbs into their belts near their weapon. I'm reminded of the old Andy Griffith shows where Barney was always fiddling with his weapon and it would suddenly go off.

And there will be lots of places that won't allow open weapons.. and with newbies having to unholster and leave their weapons in their vehicles to enter stores / businesses and then reholster when they leave, I think there will be a lot more opportunities for accidents to happen due to mishandling than with concealed carry.

As comfortable as I am with guns, if I open carry, I'll have my concealment vest in the vehicle... and if I'm going into a place that doesn't allow open carry, I'll just slip the vest on rather than unholster.

Latest posts

Top Bottom