Watch Work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a watch that works just fine, it ain't worth a lot a money but it works just fine...did I mention it works just fine?. The (I don't know the real word) glass cover face deal (how's that?) it has scratches - how should I buff it out and clear that glass (or plastic, I have no clue), out?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is acrylic you can just get some 'Polywatch' from Amazon for a few dollars. Use a clean cloth and spend about 20 minutes buffing it by hand and it'll remove just about every scratch as long as it isn't too deep. If your crystal is harder, like mineral glass, those can be buffed as well, but you'll need something like 5000 grit diamond lapping paste. You can use a hard felt wheel with a Dremel. Work it in with medium RPM's on the Dremel for about 20 seconds at a time. It will heat up quickly. Getting too hot will crack it, but work in short bursts letting it cool down between each session. This will take some time (likely 45 to 60 min), but you can buff mineral crystal back to looking brand new.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@thor447, I’m seeing (H) for heavy concentration and (L) for light concentration. What do you suggest?
High concentration - 5000 grit (2-3 micron) lapping paste:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Lapi...Km2-UxM5gEUrAQwY_s2SZkh40gRoCT-sQAvD_BwE&th=1

Works like a charm, but takes some time and effort.

You can finish even more with 0.5 to 1 micron lapping paste if you're so inclined, but generally the 5000 grit will get most of the scratches out. The finer grits can remove anything left behind from the felt wheel.

Just go in short bursts, keeping the heat down. Best if the crystal is removed and buffed on a stationary Dremel.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
High concentration - 5000 grit (2-3 micron) lapping paste:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Lapi...Km2-UxM5gEUrAQwY_s2SZkh40gRoCT-sQAvD_BwE&th=1

Works like a charm, but takes some time and effort.

You can finish even more with 0.5 to 1 micron lapping paste if you're so inclined, but generally the 5000 grit will get most of the scratches out. The finer grits can remove anything left behind from the felt wheel.

Just go in short bursts, keeping the heat down. Best if the crystal is removed and buffed on a stationary Dremel.
Or use a variable speed Dremel, like a car polisher.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Acrylic will ‘feel’ soft. Wipe your finger across Tupperware vs a glass plate kinda feel. It’s hard to explain. Sometimes I’ll tap a crystal on my teeth. Glass will feel and sound like glass. Acrylic will sound and feel like I’m tapping my teeth on a Lego.

Latest posts

Top Bottom