water jug at 150 yds with a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume then that you also have a fire extinguisher and snake bite kit in your fanny pack? J/K ;)

Yes it could happen. It is feasible... and also extremely unlikely. Getting mugged or attacked suddenly and abruptly at close range at night is much more likely. Known instances of the former - miniscule. Known instances of the latter - disturbingly more common.

But I admit that it might be a handy skill for the coming Zombie attacks... :gun2:

If you are really that concerned about someone attacking you with a rifle from 150 yards away, carry an AR or hunting rifle in your vehicle.

no im just a law enforcement officer that works in extreme rural areas of the state. So yeah there is a chance it could happen.. not likely but id rather know i could then think i can't

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't ever tried to... and probably never will. I see no point of using a handgun to hit a target 150 yards away. I have an AR for that kind of thing.

I say that though with this in mind - my handguns are for CCW duty. As such - I will not engage with anything even half that distance. I practice at 7-25 yards. This is typical self defense range.

But whatever floats one's boat. ;)

If you've ever wondered whether you've got good sight alignment and trigger control, it's a good exercise. You'll know for sure afterwards. :)

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 150 and 200 yard silhouettes are trickier because of the hold over.

I don't wanna sound too stupid, because I've never attempted to shoot that far with a handgun, but how in the world can you hold over a target you can't see? I mean...that jug has to be a pretty small target at that distance and if you're holding your muzzle over it...

Does that make sense?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't wanna sound too stupid, because I've never attempted to shoot that far with a handgun, but how in the world can you hold over a target you can't see? I mean...that jug has to be a pretty small target at that distance and if you're holding your muzzle over it...

Does that make sense?

You estimate the drop at that range, find a geographical feature that matches your holdover and sight on it. The actual target will be below the line of sight, but if you do your part the bullet will intersect with the intended point of impact.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I could see the use if you're LE or something like that.

I guess since I'm coming from a purely civilian perspective, I just see it as - a guy shooting at me with a rifle = I am running to heavy cover - and then calling the cops! :thumb:

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't ever tried to... and probably never will. I see no point of using a handgun to hit a target 150 yards away. I have an AR for that kind of thing.

I say that though with this in mind - my handguns are for CCW duty. As such - I will not engage with anything even half that distance. I practice at 7-25 yards. This is typical self defense range.

But whatever floats one's boat. ;)

I assume then that you also have a fire extinguisher and snake bite kit in your fanny pack? J/K ;)

Yes it could happen. It is feasible... and also extremely unlikely. Getting mugged or attacked suddenly and abruptly at close range at night is much more likely. Known instances of the former - miniscule. Known instances of the latter - disturbingly more common.

But I admit that it might be a handy skill for the coming Zombie attacks... :gun2:

If you are really that concerned about someone attacking you with a rifle from 150 yards away, carry an AR or hunting rifle in your vehicle.

Yeah, I could see the use if you're LE or something like that.

I guess since I'm coming from a purely civilian perspective, I just see it as - a guy shooting at me with a rifle = I am running to heavy cover - and then calling the cops! :thumb:

Did I miss something in this thread? Did someone say they actually would do this for anything other than fun?

I think it is pretty unlikely that you would encounter a real life situation to do this. It's also unlikely I would encounter a situation where I would shoot bowling pins, but I enjoy that also.....

I think the point as made by GTG is that it teaches you how to adjust your sighting based on point of impact.

coorsman_ok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Does that make sense?

You don't have to hold over if you don't want to. I just use more front sight the farther out I'm shooting. I have no problem hitting Gatorade bottles at 100 yards with my S&W 686+. I'm almost as accurate with my Glock 24L at that distance. Its alot more fun to plink at those ranges than to punch paper @25 yards. If you just train when you are shooting you are missing out how much fun shooting can be. My favorite thing to do is to take my buckmark and a golf ball, start out at 5yds, and shoot it until you can't see it any more. It gives me a **** eatin grin when I hit a golf ball at 75yds. It might take 5 or 6 shots at that range, but thats the challenge. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom