Waterfowl 2014/2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The birds didn't want to work this morning, they would make one pass then leave.
Then they would come back, managed to get two, green wing and a mallard.
Heres a pic of the spread.View attachment 43797

That looks ducky! Getting ready to go try the first field hunt of the year................Wind is screaming, we'll see what they do.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okie & I ran out in the rain for a windy, late afternoon field hunt . All green heads.
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_23_786f741a27920089016daa9f8669a160.jpg

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_23_9827e1f5a05a4415e2e9a50bd6e85723.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The cut milo was there, the ducky weather was there, the ducks were there................the shooting wasn't unfortunately. We should have had a limit of mallards in 20 minutes. Still a good first split field hunt though :)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
my son has two deer and i got my buck. we scouted a little 80 acres that we have access to. there were about 15 mallards, redheads and gaddy's on the pond.
getting the itch to get some duck hunting in!

charlster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried duck hunting yesterday mid day for my first time after getting skunked on deer hunting all weekend. Well, skunked at that as well. Had a couple of mallards fly off the pond but my lead timing is wayyy off. I need some more practice and get rid of bad habits.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out Friday to look at this place I have never hunted, but knew would be good. It is the north end of a 150 acre lake on the ranch, shallow, covered in cattails, little holes scattered among for ducks to drop into. This is where ducks come to roost at night, so it would be an evening hunt. Wind was out of the north, and it seemed like every duck in the county wanted to be right in that spot. I watched for an hour or so at last light and it was just a duck tornado. I've never hunted a place like this. I was sad I didn't bring my gun, but I would come back Saturday. Got set up Saturday afternoon, little too early, and had plenty of waiting. Bout the time the sun hit the horizon, here they came. Mostly mallards and woodies, a few teal. I had some good shooting, but had I been over on the next hole, it would have been phenomenal. I ended up with one shy of a limit. Not bad, but I was looking forward to the next evening so I could change spots. So yesterday afternoon went back out and set up where all the birds had came in the night before. Only different was that the wind had switched on me and was now out of the south. Sun hit the horizon... couple of ducks here and there, but the big duck tornado never showed. Apparently wind direction makes a huge factor in which end of the lake these birds go to. I came out with 2 greenheads and a lot of disappointment. Guess I will have to give it a rest until the wind flips back out of the north.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted Thunderbird yesterday morning. Managed 1 drake mallard. There were plenty of birds, flying the middle of the lake. 1 group managed to walk in and sit on the X, as they did all the shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom