Welding leads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I bought a 250’ roll of 2/0 at Baker Gas that’s waiting to be used or I’d be interested. I actually got a better deal on the 2/0 than 1/0, since nobody buys it and they still had an older pricing schedule on it. I’ve got some older 1/0 whips that are easier on the wrist, but they’ve been shortened over the years as I use them to build battery cables for tractors.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I bought a 250’ roll of 2/0 at Baker Gas that’s waiting to be used or I’d be interested. I actually got a better deal on the 2/0 than 1/0, since nobody buys it and they still had an older pricing schedule on it. I’ve got some older 1/0 whips that are easier on the wrist, but they’ve been shortened over the years as I use them to build battery cables for tractors.
I’ve found that most often I can get along fine with a #1 or even #2 whip. Way easier on your wrist and shoulder especially welding up on a ladder, out of a tractor bucket or heck even standing on the ground welding top rail. Comfort and position plays a big factor in weld “quality” in my opinion. Now, last night rolling around in the gravel welding on the lower ladder frame of an end dump………there was no comfortable in position way to do what needed done. Today my neck and back are telling me I should been a doctor or lawyer n such. Neighbor tricked me again. On the phone it was “hey can you come weld a couple bushings in for me.” Got over there and it was a compliment rebuild.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I’ve found that most often I can get along fine with a #1 or even #2 whip. Way easier on your wrist and shoulder especially welding up on a ladder, out of a tractor bucket or heck even standing on the ground welding top rail. Comfort and position plays a big factor in weld “quality” in my opinion. Now, last night rolling around in the gravel welding on the lower ladder frame of an end dump………there was no comfortable in position way to do what needed done. Today my neck and back are telling me I should been a doctor or lawyer n such. Neighbor tricked me again. On the phone it was “hey can you come weld a couple bushings in for me.” Got over there and it was a compliment rebuild.
They’re overkill but I don’t weld long hours, and mainly bought them because they were a deal compared to the smaller stuff. If I was on the ROW I’d definitely pick something easier on my wrist.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I’m guessing the ones for sale here must have seen some use since the stinger is shorter than the ground, but like PHG said they make great jumpers. I’d love to find some ultra flex to use for that purpose since I usually only need them when it’s below freezing.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
They’re overkill but I don’t weld long hours, and mainly bought them because they were a deal compared to the smaller stuff. If I was on the ROW I’d definitely pick something easier on my wrist.

When my leads at work get worn out I’m replacing them with that orange flexwhip, Had 300’ of ground and 300’ stinger at my last job and it was some nice lead. Expensive though. (Worked in a plant. Pipe racks and such. Reason for the long leads.)

I just do gas pipeline repair now. I’m in and out of a ditch a lot. Would choose it over plant work any day of the week. Don’t have to drag near as much lead around. 🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom