Well, that was easy...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What officially pushed you over the edge?

I can’t say that the GOP has drifted farther right of center than the Democrats have drifted to the left of center, but I’m sick of all of it. I absolutely will not be a part of it anymore. The polarization of our nation and the perpetual “us vs. them” mentality have GOT to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I'm still registered "R", is to vote in the closed primaries. I don't support the party as a whole because they support themselves more than they support the country and our Constitution. :(

I thought about that for a while before I finally pulled the trigger, but a couple of thoughts kept coming to mind:

1: The primaries probably won’t be closed forever. For better or worse, Independents make up around 42% of registered voters. The Democrats have decided to allow Independents to vote in their primary, so I imagine that the Republicans will follow suit eventually.

2. Oklahoma is pretty much always going to vote for the reddest of the red anyway.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always been registered R, but have voted D or even I in various elections over the past 50 years. I have never given any donations to any party, but I have donated to different candidates (both R & D) over the years.

Neither party represents what they did even 15 years ago, so why would I change registration?

I'm not asking to be a smartazz, I'm asking because I sincerely want to know if just being registered actually gives any support to either party.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thought about that for a while before I finally pulled the trigger, but a couple of thoughts kept coming to mind:

1: The primaries probably won’t be closed forever. For better or worse, Independents make up around 42% of registered voters. The Democrats have decided to allow Independents to vote in their primary, so I imagine that the Republicans will follow suit eventually.

2. Oklahoma is pretty much always going to vote for the reddest of the red anyway.

I agree that Oklahoma will be a "red" state for a few more years. Looking back on the last election there was a high "blue" turn out in Tulsa, Cleveland and Oklahoma counties. My dad told me when I turned 18 to register to vote and sign up for the draft. Most importantly he told me that if I don't vote I cant complain about it. So at the time the democrat party was bigger in the local community, so I registered Republican so I didn't have to vote so much. That was "smart" thinking for an 18 year old. I cant say at this point, I will change, but as all of you i'm tired of the bull**** from both sides. As a South Park episode once put it, you either vote for the giant douche or the turd sandwich, but you have to vote. I kinda feel like that's been the last 20 years for the government candidates. I hate it, but such as life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom