Well you Mosin lovers read this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mosins have offen got bad reveiws on how hard the bolt was to open & some
are!But try some Moly wheelbearing grease on where the bolt rubs on the cam
on the front & rear of the of the receiver barrel.

After I did that it was like it was US made!:ou

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Usually the bolt being hard to open can be contributed to high pressure. Most likely shooting machine gun ammo.

The only Soviet/ComBloc ammo that I know of that was produced in two different levels of performance was the 7.62 Tokerov. One loading was for the PPsh, and the other for the TT-33, and CZ52. The 7.62X54R is loaded onto nondisentigrating links from loose rounds, the same as would be loaded into a MN 91/30 or the Draganov. The nondisentigrating links are the same as the ones the Germans used in their GP34, GP43, and their modern version of the GP43 thats chambered for .308/7.62X51. All of the Cyrillic markings I've seen translated never had any designation for machinegun or rifle.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not an expert on the subject but I've definitely gotten some ammo that was much hotter than others with the same headstamp.

I agree, we ran into all that junk in Iraq, cause our Kurdish security was issued this stuff. Some would barely function while others would have case head seperation, primers flatten out, and other issues. I chalk it up to poor manufacturing processes.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you know more than me on this.I would think the machine gun ammo would be the 180 or higher grain stuff.

That's all I have shot threw my Moisins for years with no problems.I shoot the
147 grain stuff threw my PCL.But I do know the moly grease helps a bunch.

Gun oils just don't do the job on the cams for the bolt.:comfort:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you know more than me on this.I would think the machine gun ammo would be the 180 or higher grain stuff.

That's all I have shot threw my Moisins for years with no problems.I shoot the
147 grain stuff threw my PCL.But I do know the moly grease helps a bunch.

Gun oils just don't do the job on the cams for the bolt.:comfort:

Oil don't do it your right, and alot of folks have issues with the bolt being stiff due to the fact most don't take the time to tear the bolt down and clean it properly before firing. Most are still full of cosmoline, and this will hamper functioning.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had an 1891 that would be difficult to open after each shot. Later I found out it had a major headspace issue. It was retired to wall hanger status. But I have a few other Mosins. I have not shot all of them, but the ones I have. There are no hard to open bolt issues. Nor was I aware of "bad reviews".
Except that I know those that shoot the laquered ammo can have trouble once the gun gets hot such as the wolf ammo with an sks. But I am not sure if any of the 7.62x54 ammo such as Wolf is laquered or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom