Western OK, day 3 &4, Geese

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is amazing what you can fit on one cart if you really put your mind to it. Counting my silhouettes, we had around 150 decoys on this cart.

awww.fototime.com_6D91C912FA15245_standard.jpg

We put Blaze to work. She was a sled dog in a former life. :rolleyes2 We carted decoys over 2 miles.

awww.fototime.com_AE394845861F66E_standard.jpg

This was the view Friday in a field just over from the one we were hunting.

awww.fototime.com_4E893BAE0C1037B_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_ED365AB02393324_standard.jpg

What proved to be a lucky omen, we had our Turkey Friends near us on both days.

awww.fototime.com_2A0D61535AF13DF_standard.jpg

Two things noted. On the lake hunt we did, the coots and ducks where rafting in tight groups. A park ranger said they do that when the hawks and eagles migrate in. There was an Eagle hounding the wheat fields too and it seemed the Geese where staying in tight groups as well as mixing in species.
The wind certainly had something to do with it too.

awww.fototime.com_86623FE30B311D6_standard.jpg

So my strategy both days was open letter spreads with snows on the up wind side of the letter and a transitioned mix into the Canada decoys. And the decoys grouped very tight rather than in family groups to mimic as close as we could to what we saw the day before the first hunt.

This is around half the decoys on the snow side.

awww.fototime.com_C9C959AD6CDCFD5_standard.jpg

Day one we limited early. I killed three for three with my #2 hevi reloads from my 10. First shot was at nosebleed height and surprised me when the Goose folded even though I called the shot/bird. Steve then dropped two from the second large flock that tried to land. Canada limits done all we could hope for were Snows. Snows did not start flying until after shooting time was over both days. We could have limited day one on Canadas 5 times over. No other hunters on the refuge killed Geese either day. But they were not calling at all as best I could tell. I was calling and I was calling my heart out.

awww.fototime.com_E3F770AAF13C409_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_69E82910CF9A5AA_standard.jpg

awww.fototime.com_4802301DAAFBC1D_standard.jpg

Sunday was tougher. No birds working the fields near us. All birds had to be called from great distance. But we did well on the three flocks that tried to land on us. I had struggled with my calling the day before, but this day I was in the zone. We commanded the field. A final bird just before ending time was a single bird that had flown by us several times during the morning. It had a distinct call and was looking for it's lost mate we assumed. I called it with spaced pleading honks in those final minutes and brought it into the decoy pocket finally giving Steve a perfect shot. We called it a mercy killing.

awww.fototime.com_E0B84106A50D0FC_standard.jpg

We had lots of variety in Goose size.

awww.fototime.com_4E3FD8ABE857A42_standard.jpg

Finished up the work picking things up and carting out of the field, then the area Biologist Amber picked us up at the edge of the field which was nice of her. The final hero picture:

awww.fototime.com_E181EADDE3B90AC_standard.jpg

Note, dressed down, but still with makeup on I walked into a convenience store a little later. I mentioned to the kid behind the counter "boy, it was a tough day in the coal mine". He he sure looked puzzled. :rolleyes:

Picked up camp and off to Kansas for Pheasants

awww.fototime.com_0D0CB6BE5B85579_standard.jpg

Got back from Kansas just a couple days ago. Hope y'all enjoyed the two posts.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job. You guys had some great success. Were at Salt Plains? I went on a controlled hunt there a few weeks ago (shot a spike) and there was a young landy there who It think was named Amber. She was very nice and helped get several things put together.

Quote from Sniper John:
Finished up the work picking things up and carting out of the field, then the area Biologist Amber picked us up at the edge of the field which was nice of her.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been goose hunting at the Salt Plains before and it was good. I hunted further west in Dalhart, Texas and the hunting was absolutely indescribable. I have never seen the number of birds as we saw in the Texas panhandle.

Great pics by the way. I miss goose hunting!

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been goose hunting at the Salt Plains before and it was good. I hunted further west in Dalhart, Texas and the hunting was absolutely indescribable. I have never seen the number of birds as we saw in the Texas panhandle.

Great pics by the way. I miss goose hunting!

Naaww, that would be Wa$hita. It is a very tough hunt. I have never been completely skunked, but for example out of 10 groups of hunters on this hunt we were the only ones who killed geese. Takes a large spread and lots of calling to be successful. The kill averages are very poor overall and the bird counts are low this early. The week before we arrived the Canada count on the refuge was only like 58. But since we were on our way to Kansas and it was on the way, I figured we would go for it anyway and it payed off.

My next run will be to the Texas Trans Pecos over two weeks for Blue Quail. I have never been to Salt Plains though I often put in for the Deer hunt there.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice job. You guys had some great success. Were at Salt Plains? I went on a controlled hunt there a few weeks ago (shot a spike) and there was a young landy there who It think was named Amber. She was very nice and helped get several things put together.

Quote from Sniper John:
Finished up the work picking things up and carting out of the field, then the area Biologist Amber picked us up at the edge of the field which was nice of her.

You know that is close enough that I bet it is her. One of the nicest F&W employees I have met. Her and my Dog are good friends. Blaze always remembers her.

awww.fototime.com_ED9F6E419908144_standard.jpg

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Pics and post!! Good luck on the ringnecks!

We did very well on the ringnecks. Locals for the area we hunted called it some of the best in several years. My friend got a great candid picture of the dog and me.

awww.fototime.com_D0419D44CF26A3E_standard.jpg

Some of the best Quail hunting I have had in a long time too.

awww.fototime.com_492CE0E91EAA872_standard.jpg

By switching to a vest with only non tox whenever we hit a unit that had water we were able to pick up some of those green headed pheasants too.

awww.fototime.com_6E44CA04E283B24_standard.jpg

Too much fun for one week. One of these days I gotta try out the Okie Pheasant hunting, but next road trip I am headed to the Texas Trans Pecos to do walkabouts on the big WMAs for Blue Quail. It is not very often I hunt the same areas twice as I did with the goose hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom