What a total let down . . I still have cold toes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The wife presented me with an early Christmas present today. She got met a set of those rechargeable battery powered Thermacell insoles. (At my request, of course). I was SO excited to finally have a solution for cold toes in the stand and blind! We charged them up and managed to get them into the My Irish Setter Phantom II's after removing the factory insoles. I slide my foot into my all-time favorite boots and - uh oh. These insoles are so thick that it took my fantastic set of boots and made them totally unwearable. The thickness of the insole means my foot is crammed up against the top of the boot. that won't work, and that was with no sock on at all.

So, I took them out and put them into my wives boots. She wears two sizes larger than me (in mens sizes) - still too thick, and now I feel like I am wearing clown shoes. (Sorry honey). She can't even get her foot in all the way.

Surmise it to say that the poor fit of the insole was so bad that I never even got a chance to try out the actual technology. Shame too, these head real promise.

If you're looking into these, be prepared to buy new boots several sizes larger than your current size in order to wear them. You should also be prepared for that soft, plush boot that offers so much support to be transformed into a wooden plank that you will have strapped to the bottom of your foot.

It's a great technology idea, and one that will eventually mature enough to useful (I see lines of boots with soles that can be switched out without affecting performance, for example) - but these are not it. Perhaps in a house slipper or some other light-duty shoe but certainly not in a hunting or outdoors boot.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably have a half dozen of the electric socks that family has given me. After one time of trying them, they weren't usable, and didn't really heat. Found a good pair of wool socks and some thinsulate in the boots cured my cold feet problem.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm back on the low tech solution trail. My next move to to make my own custom boot inserts that add a layer of thinsulate. Good fitting boots are something I take quite seriously. I hate to make changes to my favorite pair of boots. This may lead to a new boot purchase.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solution: Military Mickey Mouse Boots. I have bad back that makes my feet cold instantly - this was the only solution that works.
i41.tinypic.com_34659ap.jpg

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried electric socks, boot blankets, pac boots, double socks, etc, etc, etc, and my feet would still get cold.

Spray your feet, especially between your toes, with unscented anti-perspirant. My feet stay MUCH warmer when they don't sweat walking into the stand.

Nowata2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have a pair of these insoles and they have increased my time in the stand considerably on cold days. They stay just warm enough that you don't notice hot/cold feet and prevent sweating by not being too warm. I was skeptical of the fit at first as well but I can tell you they break in rather quickly. I just bought mine in mid October and after maybe 3-4 trips to the field I did not notice a difference from the fit prior. Overall I am pleased,

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my thermacell inserts. At first they were terrible because I did not remove the factory insoles from my Danners. Once I did that, perfect fit.

A couple of things I have learned: Use a thin liner sock combined with a medium sock. The high setting will kill the battery in about an hour. Medium will last about 2.5 hours. I keep them in standby mode for the walk to my stand, then as soon as my toes feel cold, I turn them on (usually an hour or so into the sit). Dont lace your boots super tight.

No more pac boots or tons of thick socks. I can wear a high quality non bulky boot and have warm feet for 3.5 hours. I usually sit between 5 and 6 hours. The answer would be larger batteries.

Latest posts

Top Bottom