What Age did you forward face your kid??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As long as when you move her forward facing she is in a 5 point harness seat you should be good to go. Vehicle choice, where and how you drive all come into play. Many many times I chose Sooner Road driving from Norman to Moore rather than I-35, because the route is slower and safer with kids in the car. A seat anchored solidly to your vehicle, properly adjusted harnes belt, the chest buckle should be at sternum hight, the actual over the shoulder straps should not be hanging down from the slots in the seat, the should be even or lower than your child (If I remember correctly- mine are now in booster seats) your child should be safe as possible. Like previously mentioned local fire departments can ensure your seat is installed correctly. The weight issue and if they are strong enough to hold their head up is a big deal on forward facing.

I agree with this as well, I feel that my kids are safer in the center of a 8500lb Ford Excursion, than in a Nissan Altima or something similar. We do a lot of highway driving as well, both of us drive a little more than 30,000 miles a year.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A seat anchored solidly to your vehicle, properly adjusted harnes belt, the chest buckle should be at sternum hight, the actual over the shoulder straps should not be hanging down from the slots in the seat, the should be even or lower than your child (If I remember correctly- mine are now in booster seats) your child should be safe as possible.

I had to quote this to correct it as it is a serious safety hazard. The bolded text is backwards. The anchor point should be level with or ABOVE the shoulders. I'd put it above if possible to avoid any chance at injury. Below could potentially paralyze your child in the event of an accident via spinal compression.

Take a rubber band and wrap it around your four fingers and pull it perpendicular to the direction of your fingers. Notice how it compresses the top and bottom fingers as you pull backwards? That compression is what the spine would potentially be experiencing in an accident because the "tether point" is below the shoulder, or the top finger. Using the same concept, pull the rubber band at a slight upward angle. It compresses the bottom finger but not the top one, so in application the spine could extend upwards if needed to prevent compression. This simulates the tether point above the shoulder.

If you are anchored to the highest mounting loop and it is still below your child's shoulders, you need a bigger car seat.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will also tell you this- that whole firestation seat check? yeah, its BS. I took my seat to the local FD headquarters and not one guy there could help. I just wanted to make sure I had it hooked u right. That was about 10 yars ago, so things may be different now, but it didn't work out for me.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to wrap this thread up...

Don't come to a gun board to ask child safety questions. Good lord man, we can't even decide between .45 .40 and 9.

/Threadover

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember riding inthe back of my dads truck from OKC TO CLAYTON. We would jump thru our asses when he or his buddies would throw a beer bottle and make contact with a hi way sign. Scares the crap out of a 6 yr old...

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember riding inthe back of my dads truck from OKC TO CLAYTON. We would jump thru our asses when he or his buddies would throw a beer bottle and make contact with a hi way sign. Scares the crap out of a 6 yr old...

I tried to explain to a Chicagoan the other day what it was like growing up in Oklahoma. I spent like 30 minutes verbalizing what you did in 3 sentences. Masterful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom