What are you planting for food plots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone uses. I'm thinking of dividing my plot this year into three sections, and doing a direct comparison of how much is foraged and how many tracks are in each section. I've switched it from year to year and it's to hard to tell any differance. Give me some suggestions and I'll post results as the year goes on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually its pretty interesting to do this.
In years past, my best spot was in the hay loft of an old barn(that has collapsed).
I would plant several of the commercial deer food plot mixes in different areas where they could be observed.
Kind of what happened in my area, which is 90% agriculture, they ignored the special stuff, and went to what they were familiar with. Milo, corn and wheat.
Over the years, talking with people that have hunting in different areas, some of the same mixes that didn't work for me, were working great for them.
Deer have different requirements for nutrition depending on where they live in my humble opinion.(no scientific basis for this but just my observation) Some areas have great minerals, and some are void of minerals.

That being said, Plant what you want, and see what works for you in your area.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will plant some winter peas, rye and some turnips. There isn't much agriculture around the area I leased. My old hunting grounds has agriculture all around from alfalfa, wheat, peanuts, and milo. I didn't ever plant anything there. I just fertilized about a half dozen oak trees that were in close proximity. Sometimes as much as 25 pounds per tree.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got about 250acre of beans going right now but they dont seem to be hitting it real hard yet. my buddy has milo on his place and is counting 25-50 deer every evening

My food plots are considerably smaller. But, I have been watching several deer in an 100 acre alfalfa patch that is on a creek bottom. Not much milo in the area this year. The dove seemed to have left too.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oats has done well in the past and I usually mix turnips in with it for late in the season.

Oats will definately be one that goes in this year. Maybe some winter peas, and still not sure on the third choice.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like allOut said, I've see more deer take to milo than anything else.

The food plots that we have are not very big (about an acre). We planted milo in one of them one year. The deer didn't use it much for a long time. Then in the course of about a week, they wiped it out and were done with it. I need things that will provide food over a longer period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom