What are you planting for food plots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna try soy beans this year to compete with the guy a mile away. He always plants them and wounds nice bucks that make their way to my place. trying to do something that keeps them on me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The food plots that we have are not very big (about an acre). We planted milo in one of them one year. The deer didn't use it much for a long time. Then in the course of about a week, they wiped it out and were done with it. I need things that will provide food over a longer period.

The deal with milo.
It takes a lot of acreage to put in a milo food plot and a bean field rifle.
The deer won't touch the heads until they are ripe, and then gorge on the field. I put in a 17 acre milo patch to harvest one year, and by the time it was ready to harvest, it was nothing but stripped heads.
The deer put their mouth over it(watched this many times) and pull the seeds off of the head. The benefit of this is that the ground birds like pheasant and quail will eat the grain that slips out of their mouth and falls to the ground. One specie can benefit from another.
One has to plant milo around june to be ready for hunting season. Its not a good food plot crop for the above reasons.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The food plots that we have are not very big (about an acre). We planted milo in one of them one year. The deer didn't use it much for a long time. Then in the course of about a week, they wiped it out and were done with it. I need things that will provide food over a longer period.

i have to agree and disagree with dennis
milo is a great food plot crop but like he said they can wipe it out fast so in that since its not... but in my case we have planted it in the past but its usually 80-160 acre at a time so it works well except it would be harvested mid october so u only had about 2 weeks to hunt it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ALLOUT - I must disagree with you on milo being such a good food plot crop. If milo was so good then it would provide long term benefits instead of a flash in the pan.
I have been planting food plots since 1988 and I have found that perrenials to have the best long term benefits. Perrenials in conjunction with some annual cereal grains will provide year round long term benefits for your deer. In addition this program will be less labor intensive over the long term versus just annual plantings. Your deer will be in better condition because they have better nutrition over the long term. The deer will stay close to the best food source just like you would. If you had the choice to live close to mac and cheese, hamburger helper,oatmeal, and maybe spaghetti versus steak and eggs, T bones, ribeyes, pork loins and balanced out with good veggies 3X/day, where would you set up shop?? The best and highest nutritional food that is available will consistently draw and retain the deer. In addition these butterball marbled deer are wonderful on the bbq.
This type of program is not for everyone. My experience and statistics that I have seen indicate that 1 person out of 200 plot planters will go the extra mile. If instructions are followed then the results are excellant, but then that would be expected. I have also experienced that with excellant food plots everyone wants to be your buddy come deer season. Where were they when you needed help in July and August? Remember the "Little Red Hen" nursery rhyme?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasnt speeking in the nutritional aspect of it, I was speeking toward just attracting deer for hunting which it does very well.

Well it sounds like you have been around the block a few times so help me out.... we have 900 acre and about 1/3 planted in soy bean now. We are also about to put in some winter plots, any sugestions? There is also corn planted just north of us.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ALLOUT -
I have also experienced that with excellant food plots everyone wants to be your buddy come deer season. Where were they when you needed help in July and August? Remember the "Little Red Hen" nursery rhyme?

I know this part. When there is work to be done, they are busy. When its play time they want to be there.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have an idea.... im kind of volunteering deer slayer if he doesnt mind?
i love reading other peoples trial and error stuff and use it to help me figure out how to go about getting started on stuff myself. there is a lot of literature on foodplots online but not all pertains to our state, so how about a "how to" guide on ideas for food plots... stuff like what and when to plant and why, working ground, herbacides and fertilizers etc.... just basics most of us can fallow that are good in oklahoma and maybe get the mods to make it a sticky???

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Geez, I knew this was coming.......... This happened to me on another site dealing with crappie fishing and managing farm ponds. I have had 5,000+ hits in 15 months.

Fellas, this is going to take awhile to do because I have years of experience doing this and I have made alot of mistakes in the process. Good experiences come from having bad experiences. I have quietly sat back and observed the many comments about food plots and feeders and what to plant and when.. I have cracked a few smiles and shook my head and seen many of you grasping for straws as what to do. Let me be clear......I was once in each of your shoes. In the next few weeks, I will lay out some suggestions for building a successful food plot(s). These suggestions apply to all quadrants of the state. The reccommended seed may vary from quadrant to quadrant but that is due to soil conditions and annual rainfall. I welcome questions from you all and I will try to help as my time allows. Each question asked will,most likely, help some one else.

I am a private consultant in the wastewater and water industry. I have been a field tester for the Whitetail Institute of North America (WINA) for many years. This company was founded by Ray Scott of BASS fame. Ray's son Steve Scott worked with me on a project of mine one year then advised his staff biologist to invite me to be on their team of testers. So here I am.

In 2008 I filmed a segment for the ODWC on Food Plot Basics which has aired several times. Several of you have asked for a copy of this DVD and I am in the process of getting several of them burned. When they are ready I will let you know.

Let me start a new thread on this topic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom