What Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was asked if there was any advantage or disadvantage in the choice of caliber when taking his CCW class. I've heard many opinions, but none of them were very convincing pro or con.

I know I'll get the ultimate answer here!

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I'm not talking about what to carry, but does it make any difference what is used during the initial class? I have heard some say that an individual taking the class with a .22 .32 whatever, and then is involved in an incident with a .40 or .45 then has a potential defense problem. But I don't remember there being anything about what caliber was used on the initial class paperwork, only the type of handgun.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've seen, you can qualify with any semi-automatic handgun (.22-.45). This will qualify you to carry a semi-automatic or revolver. However, those that qualify with revolvers only, are not qualified to carry semi-automatics. According to Title 21, the applicant should show competence in the type or types of pistol that the applicant desires to carry (to me this means semi-auto or revolver...doesn't say anything about caliber).

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not like your carry license says what cartridge you used in the class. It does designate derringer, revolver, or semi-automatic, but that's it. Ideally you'd take the class with your carry gun/cartridge, whatever that may be.

As for answering the question you didn't ask...I feel fine carrying a 9mm, but if I'm ever forced to use my weapon, you can bet I'll empty the magazine. 9mm doesn't have the effect on target of a 10mm, let's say, but I can manipulate the weapon more effectively because it's cheap to shoot often (i.e.: practice with) & recoils relatively softly.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does not matter. But qualify with an automatic so you can carry a darrenger, revolver. or auto. You don't even have to hit the target, as long as you miss it safely. CCW class is just an 8 hour safety course.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. That is what I thought, but I didn't want to tell anyone that based on my memory only. There is someone in the Tulsa area telling folks that it is recorded somewhere, and I was asked about it by threee different people in the past two weeks.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The individual that is telling folks that the caliber is recorded is correct. It is recorded by the instructor on the course roster but that roster goes NOWHERE. From .22 to .45, as long as it it a semi-auto, you get the same certificate. Use the .22 for the class and save your other ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom