What can you tell me about the Colt 1909?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Belongs to a buddy who asked me if I could help him out with it. The cylinder isn't very tight, however the key holds are nice and square, which makes me think it's the latch. Also, the forcing cone isn't matched very well with the barrel.

bfoster

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Get a copy of Kuhnhausen's Manual for Colt Double Action Revolvers, volume I before you proceed. While this specifically covers Colt DA revolvers such as the Python, Diamondback, 357, early Troopers and the like the lockwork of the various New Service models (of which this is one) is similar.

When I was younger I worked on a lot of Colt DA revolvers. Latch problems proper, even on revolvers this old, aren't very common.

If the crane and cylinder move back and forth together check out the crane lock screw (this is before Colt used a "V" plunger). If that's good check the collar and ratchet to see that headspace and endshake are within tolerance. Cylinder side play may send you on a parts chase for either the cylinder, the crane or both.

If you're talking about failure to lock up properly I'd recommend finding a expert Colt gunsmith. The relation of the rebound lever, the hand, and the locking bolt in this action takes time, observation, and thought to master. It's a much more difficult action to master than it's direct competitor of the time, the triple lock Smith (the ancestor of the modern "N" frame).

The only time that I've seen poorly coned barrels on a Colt revolver is with replacement barrels- some were shipped by the factory unconed...

Be cautious. 1909's can be worth signifigant money.

Bob

Latest posts

Top Bottom