What do we do in this scenario?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Werewolf said:
Point taken...

That said I will address the question to the OP and anyone else who'd care to comment: When entering anyone's home, LEO or not does one have a moral/ethical obligation to inform the home owner that one is carrying? If not why not? I so then why?

If your gonna feel obligated to tell a homeowner, what's next will you be morally obligated to tell a store owner? You have to draw the line somewhere and for me that's the minimum I have to by law. It's concealed for a reason....

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Werewolf said:
Point taken...

That said I will address the question to the OP and anyone else who'd care to comment: When entering anyone's home, LEO or not does one have a moral/ethical obligation to inform the home owner that one is carrying? If not why not? I so then why?

If your gonna feel obligated to tell a homeowner, what's next will you be morally obligated to tell a store owner? You have to draw the line somewhere and for me that's the minimum I have to by law. It's concealed for a reason....

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Point taken...

I do not see any moral or ethical issues unless you knew before entering that the home owner did not want weapons on his property. Without that knowledge what moral or ethical issues are there?
If you were a smoker would you notify the home owner that you had a pack of smokes in your pocket?

What makes you think that the homeowner cares what is in your pockets?

Michael

Last edited:

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not see any moral or ethical issues unless you knew before entering that the home owner did not want weapons on his property. Without that knowledge what moral or ethical issues are there?
If you were a smoker would you notify the home owner that you had a pack of smokes in your pocket?

What makes you think that the homeowner cares what is in your pockets?

Michael

Since you ask:
I know at least two people that would become very upset if they knew I had entered their home armed with both a gun and a knife. Strangely enough they've seen the knife and it doesn't bother them. Considering their stand on firearms and their ownership by non LEO's they'd go nuts if they knew I was carrying a gun. And that bothers me a bit but not enough to upset them and risk a friendship over it. So in this case and to your point there is prior knowledge.

Which is why I asked the question because as I've said before I'm conflicted about the situation. Quite often the qualified opinions, rational reasoning and logic of others helps to solidify my stand on issues.

So: If one has prior knowledge of a home owner's objection to visitors entering do you inform and risk being told to leave or do you go with the what they don't know won't hurt 'em tack? Personally I go with the latter for the reason I previously related.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What they don't know won't hurt em but you better be real confident in your method of concealment that there is no way you'd bend over to pick up a tool bag and print real hard or anything of that nature.

I am pro gun, but I am weary of strangers in my home. I was at a get together one time and there was a guy there who worked for Satellite TV company talking about how they'd be up on someone's roof and light up a joint and smoke for a minute up there then return to work. I am weary of who is in my home already, for that individual to be carrying a firearm I would at least ask them to leave it in their truck/van. I know I'm a good guy and you have nothing to worry about. Now if the repairman was someone I knew outside of their work or someone who was a friend of a friend and was recommended I probably wouldn't mind. A total stranger who showed up as the result of a phone call to a service provider would be different though.

I can see from their side too, same story. I'm going into some strangers home, I have clue what the person is like or what kind of day they are having. Granted, I can't recall the last time a service repairman was attacked by the customer to the point where deadly force would have been justifiable.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What they don't know won't hurt em but you better be real confident in your method of concealment that there is no way you'd bend over to pick up a tool bag and print real hard or anything of that nature.

I am pro gun, but I am weary of strangers in my home. I was at a get together one time and there was a guy there who worked for Satellite TV company talking about how they'd be up on someone's roof and light up a joint and smoke for a minute up there then return to work. I am weary of who is in my home already, for that individual to be carrying a firearm I would at least ask them to leave it in their truck/van. I know I'm a good guy and you have nothing to worry about. Now if the repairman was someone I knew outside of their work or someone who was a friend of a friend and was recommended I probably wouldn't mind. A total stranger who showed up as the result of a phone call to a service provider would be different though.

I can see from their side too, same story. I'm going into some strangers home, I have clue what the person is like or what kind of day they are having. Granted, I can't recall the last time a service repairman was attacked by the customer to the point where deadly force would have been justifiable.

It may not be the customer your worried about, some cowokers don't get along good, or if they have to run to the hardware store, or like in my case I've done some work in a couple nasty neighborhoods, and I certainly wasn't going to leave my safety up to the landowner/police while I'm working on they're property...

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Since you ask:
SNIP:
So: If one has prior knowledge of a home owner's objection to visitors entering do you inform and risk being told to leave or do you go with the what they don't know won't hurt 'em tack? Personally I go with the latter for the reason I previously related.
If I had prior knowledge they did not want weapons in their house I would respect their wishes. Which is why I left that option open in my previous answer. It would then be my decision to either disarm and go in or to remain armed and not go in.

If I had a friend that came into my house and he knowingly broke the rules of my house it would be the last time he would be invited. I have no rules against guns but I do have others. In my house you must respect my rules. I will do the same in yours.
Yes, I have lost friends because of this.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom