What do you guys think about neck shots.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
my 2 cents is if you have a clean neck shot but the main body is covered then why not shot it in the head. now I know it will ruin the head for mounting most of the time but if it is hit in the head it will not run off or is any of the meat ruined.I have actually shot a couple
Inmtjemjead with a 30-30 and it not mess the skull up

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about this scenario?

[Broken External Image]

my 2 cents is if you have a clean neck shot but the main body is covered then why not shot it in the head. now I know it will ruin the head for mounting most of the time but if it is hit in the head it will not run off or is any of the meat ruined.I have actually shot a couple
Inmtjemjead with a 30-30 and it not mess the skull up

The head is the most animated part of a deer, the most likely to move at the exact moment you don't want it to. Miss a head shot by 2-3 inches and you blow the deers jaw off and it dies of starvation.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the neck shot is tough and I am careful with it.
Killing anything is all about shot placement.
The things I have killed with neck shots were all down instantly and soon expired.
If you place a shot with a hp rifle on a deers neck correctly it is instantly done..
Placing your shot into the traditional vital zone of the heart and lungs does not mean the animal will be dead in a couple of seconds.
Remember, the deer still has to bleed out to die.
I have seen deer with their heart, lungs or liver destroyed travel close to a quarter mile after being shot.
The only guaranteed stops or instant kills will involve brain or spinal cord destruction.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always shot for vitals unless it is not an option. I have also not been able to bring meat home because of this. The biggest deer I ever shot, was shot in the vitals and was not recovered and it still makes me sick to think of it to this day. My fault though, didn't wait long enough to track him and he kept walking out on us. Blood trail finally stopped.

If I can't get the vitals I would aim for a neck shot as close to the body as possible since the head is the most animated part of the deer. Nothing wrong with neck shots in my opinion as long as you are not shaking with buck fever and can place a shot where you want it to hit.

And yes, this thread is getting good...

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about this scenario?

[Broken External Image]

The head is the most animated part of a deer, the most likely to move at the exact moment you don't want it to. Miss a head shot by 2-3 inches and you blow the deers jaw off and it dies of starvation.

Shoot the hostage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom