What do you guys think about neck shots.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they pretty much suck, and if you can get a neck shot you should be able to get a broadside vitals shot which offers the largest available target and is always 100% lethal.I can't see why you would want to handicap yourself by taking a shot at a tiny target when there is a basketball you can aim at that will kill a deer every single time.

I'm not sure I can agree with you there. If it was 100% lethal every single time, then there would be a lot more hungry coyotes out there. Sure the chances are great for it going down but not instantly, not every single time.

I'm just throwing it out there, but between the spinal column, main circulatory system and the muscles keep the deer's head up, it's not a bad choice if it's presented.

Great photoshop skills on this board!

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
Off topic and I will start a new thread, but how many people are like you???

we are mostly meat hunters but we did have one mounted year before last.usually if we kill ambit one we just put the antlers on a plaque.our house arent big enough to have alot of mounted heads hanging.but that will change in a couple of years when I build my new home

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen deer with their heart, lungs or liver destroyed travel close to a quarter mile after being shot.

A hole in both lungs and traveling 1/4 mile? Out of the dozens upon dozens of double lunged deer I've seen, with both bullet and arrow....I've never seen one do more than about a 60 yard sprint and drop dead.

I don't see a heart shot deer making it 1/4 mile either.

Liver, absolutely. A liver shot deer usually beds down farily close and waits to die. If something (usually an overzealous hunter taking the trail up too quickly) jumps it, it will cover some serious distance.

Single lung? That's also another story. They can make tracks.

I think they pretty much suck, and if you can get a neck shot you should be able to get a broadside vitals shot which offers the largest available target and is always 100% lethal.I can't see why you would want to handicap yourself by taking a shot at a tiny target when there is a basketball you can aim at that will kill a deer every single time.

I'm not sure I can agree with you there. If it was 100% lethal every single time, then there would be a lot more hungry coyotes out there. Sure the chances are great for it going down but not instantly, not every single time.

I don't know how you think a deer operates, but a hole through both lungs causes them not to be able to...live...anymore. A deer shot through both lungs is a dead deer. Every single time.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about this scenario?

The head is the most animated part of a deer, the most likely to move at the exact moment you don't want it to. Miss a head shot by 2-3 inches and you blow the deers jaw off and it dies of starvation.

Or you could turn it into a doe!

I shot a one antlered deer in the head & blew it's only antler off! After FINALLY killing the dear. We had to dig around in the brush to find the antler. We threw it in the floorboard of the truck and forgot about it when we went to check it in. The GW gave us some funny looks and did a double check on the sex. We then retrieved the lone antler from the truck and showed it to him to prove we didn't take an antlerless deer.

No, shooting the antler off didn't kill him, it did however knock him out and gave him a really bad headache. LOL

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how you think a deer operates, but a hole through both lungs causes them not to be able to...live...anymore. A deer shot through both lungs is a dead deer. Every single time.

If it was that easy to double lung shoot a deer no one would lose one......ever. Thanks for your reply.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was that easy to double lung shoot a deer no one would lose one......ever. Thanks for your reply.

Where did I say it was easy?

I said it offers the largest target, so that gives it the largest margin of error. Making it the EASIEST target to hit. It can still be screwed up. I know, I've seen me do it.

I stand by both things I said. Lungs offer the largest target. A double lunged deer cannot live.

And you're welcome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom