What do you guys think about neck shots.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it's all simple physiology....a hole in the heart, blood leaks out. reducing blood flow to brain to zero. zero blood flow to brain, no oxygen to brain...animal dies.

hole in the lung(s)...lungs can't fill with air...no air in lungs, no oxygenated red blood cells transported to heart. no oxygenated red blood cells in heart, no oxygen getting to brain...animal dies.

the problem is the damage caused by the bullet (arrow). was the left ventricle blown apart? was there a condition called cardiac tamponade? was the aorta affected? same with the lungs....was there a full hemothorax (blood in chest cavity)? was there a tension pneumothorax (air leaking from lungs and squishing the lung itself)? while all of this is happening, the animal is running very fast. and a process that takes 30-90 seconds (usually) allows the animal to run its butt off and travel a very long distance (compared to what a human could accomplish).

i shot a doe in the pelvis one year...something made it jumped right when i shot. it bounded once about 20 yds and just crumpled because i took out the locomotor infrastructure. mechanically, it couldn't run. fortunately, the pelvis is a highly vascular area and it bled out in about a minute or two. not the shot i intended, but still effective.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the problem is the damage caused by the bullet (arrow). was the left ventricle blown apart? was there a condition called cardiac tamponade? was the aorta affected? same with the lungs....was there a full hemothorax (blood in chest cavity)? was there a tension pneumothorax (air leaking from lungs and squishing the lung itself)? while all of this is happening, the animal is running very fast. and a process that takes 30-90 seconds (usually) allows the animal to run its butt off and travel a very long distance (compared to what a human could accomplish).

Dang this is getting technical! Just shoot the danged deer!

Latest posts

Top Bottom