What do you think of baiting deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArealGunNut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
wormy seems to have an affliction towards animals feelings lol, I was simply stating an opinion that the television shows showing all of these "professionals" are amusing and half the "must have" equipment really isn't needed to enjoy the sport. If you wan't to feed year round and hunt sitting on top of your tripod feeder thats up to you, its just not my cup of tea. Nowhere did i state I thought they should ban feeders or food plots god forbid you cant put out some deercane lol. If putting out acornrage or deercane give's you that edge needed to be bag that critter more power to ya! Im thinking that someone needs to invent a radio transmitter with gps tracking that can be ingested or shot from an airgun attached to a gamecamera, that way we could take our laptops hunting with us and really track down these bigboys! probably make millions selling them on the outdoor channel!

pot stirred!

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bottom line is even with "baiting" the herd keeps growing and the hunter pool keeps getting smaller every year. So honestly I don't see the point in even arguing "purist hunting" unless you actually are a purist and want to hunt that way.

If the herd ever got down to the size where we were in danger of overhunting, then I think a ban on some types of baiting would be in order from a conservation standpoint. Otherwise...we're just talking preference re: our personal hunting experience.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the op in reference to most huntin shows. I don't believe most of these Wadell type personalities have a show due to their hunting abilities, but rather their deep pockets to hunt the ranches where someone else has already done all the scouting and preparation for them. I'd like to see them drop Wadell off unguided in Three Rivers or Honobia and pull off one of the monster bucks that you see on the show.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP is probably referring to Drury Outdoors, which for those of us in the hunting industry is actually 100% Fair Chase. Meaning they don't hire outfitters, or hunt fenced areas, or use planted game. They hunt areas that they've leased or have been given permission to hunt, and they do plant plots and feeders and use cameras. Why? Because they have a freakin' TV show and if they didn't, they wouldn't have enough action to actually make a living.

People seem to look at the hunters on outdoor television and either 1) Assume hunting is always like that, or 2) Judge them for not being "fair" enough to the game. It's an example people! They use nice gear and hunt good places because they want to show you the entertaining side of hunting. No body wants to sit and watch someone in a tree stand for 4 hours not see anything, we want to see em whack a monster, because that excites us! THAT is why we watch.

If you're seriously going to go off on the "purist" hunting, without using scent masks, feeders, camera, etc, you might as well go back to using an old hickory bow with buffalo string and feathers for fletching, because that Remington Model 700 in your hand puts you at MUCH more of an advantage than should be fair for that "poor doe." Hunting is the act of outwitting an animal on their turf, using whatever advantages you may have at hand, be it a $100,000 sponsorship and a trailer full of gear, or an old pair of army surplus boots and a Sears and Roebuck .30-30.

/rant.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the op in reference to most huntin shows. I don't believe most of these Wadell type personalities have a show due to their hunting abilities, but rather their deep pockets to hunt the ranches where someone else has already done all the scouting and preparation for them. I'd like to see them drop Wadell off unguided in Three Rivers or Honobia and pull off one of the monster bucks that you see on the show.

There's a show on the Outdoor Channel called "On Your Own Adventures". These guys draw tags and hunt strictly public land. Do all their own scouting etc. It's a good show.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

While I'll disagree with the premise that Waddell couldn't hunt his way unguided (I know him personally, and believe me, he can), you're right that they don't always hire people for their hunting abilities. They hire them because they CAN hunt, and make a great TV personality. At least the network shows do. People like the Duck Commander crew were creating videos long before you could put them on TV. Waddell's crew is actually one of the few who are avid hobby hunters, and get out in the field on non-filming days just because of it. Even for people like Lee and Tiffany, who are hugely rich off of their shows, they still hunt off camera.

My point is similar to what I mentioned above. Shows wouldn't be exciting if they werent hunting new areas with monster game. Their personalities is what keeps the show moving, and some of em can shoot the broad side of a barn, but Waddell and the Drury's can. Now that Jimmy Big Time guy.....egh.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
Reminds me of when I started bowhunting and was showing my brother my bow and arrows. He said it would be something if I could make a bow and arrows and chip out an arrowhead and kill a deer that way. I reminded him that when the Indians were able to, they immediately started using rifles and horses to hunt. If they could have they would have used machine guns.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
Baiting is a legal activity in Oklahoma as well as some other states. I believe if you find a hunting tactic objectionable, don't practice it. Some think crossbows shouldn't be used. Some don't even like rifles. In line muzzleloaders? I think if it is legal, then it is up to you to decide.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Baiting is and will continue to be more desirable as the years go on. Most people are finding it harder to find a place to hunt and successfully harvest deer when the neighbors are already baiting or holding more deer with food plots. I used to think the thought of shooting a deer over corn was crazy. But now I like it just fine...

Latest posts

Top Bottom