What do you think of baiting deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do I think? Based on this year, I think that it doesn't work at all when there's millions and millions of acorns on the ground - but it ain't over yet - the cold weather is a'comin... :)

No doubt! I leased a small area in the middle of a soy bean field one time and never saw a deer in it. We had a real good acorn crop that year, and I can assure you, a deer will go to an acorn long before going to a feeder.

Mark Munkres

Marksman
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised how much baiting is used on hunting shows. I especially like the ones where the big buck walks up and just seems to start "grazing" on dry grass. I think it goes back to what is legal and accepted as a hunting practice. Hunting with dogs is legal and popular in some parts of the country, but you would be strung up if you used dogs to run deer in Oklahoma. In my area I would venture that nearly 100% of hunters use feeders or just throw out grain of some kind. On my property there are acorn trees. You might say, just set up near an oak dropping acorns. I would have to ask which of the 20,000 trees would be the right one. Hunt between a bedding and feeding area? What if the whole property is feeding and potentially bedding area? No distinctive deer trails either. They go anywhere and everywhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might say, just set up near an oak dropping acorns. I would have to ask which of the 20,000 trees would be the right one. Hunt between a bedding and feeding area? What if the whole property is feeding and potentially bedding area? No distinctive deer trails either. They go anywhere and everywhere.

HAHAHA! isn't that the truth:D
I went to big Mac this year on an archery hunt, and all of the conventional wisdom told me to set up on an acorn tree.
Well, Hominy area has close to a million of them from what I could see:D:D

There is not an acorn tree within 50 miles of where I hunt. 90% farm ground.
Its fun going to different areas and trying to figure them out.
This is why I put in for the controlled hunts every year.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Feeding has kick my butt this year... I leased 280 acre south of Nowta, which is mainly strips of trees on three creeks that run through the property and open pasture between. I asked the guy who owns the land if he had any oaks and he said there isnt a single oak tree on property and he was right. Well i have plenty of deer on and around the land, i put up two feeders in september and the deer didnt touch them til november. I couldnt figure out what they were eating. My buddy has a lease just a few mile from me and its over 300 acre and its loaded with oak trees? Still has me stumped.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up until a few years ago it was illegal to bait or use feeders to hunt over. You had to remove them before season started.
But then the deer herd population started growing by leaps and bounds and the hunter population was dying off. This caused concern to the wildlife dept. that they could have a population explosion and huge die-off so they did what other states have done and legalized it.
If you don't like it - introduce 10,000- 20,000 new hunters to the sport and maybe they will change the law back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i put up two feeders in september and the deer didnt touch them til november. I couldnt figure out what they were eating. My buddy has a lease just a few mile from me and its over 300 acre and its loaded with oak trees? Still has me stumped.

They are eating the acorns at your buddies place, and moving to yours when they are gone. The conception that deer live and die in 1 Sq mile, is maybe true for the deep woods of michigan but in the open plains of Ok, a 5 sq mile is the norm. With all the farm lands in my area, the deer will walk the county roads at night. I've followed sets of tracks for a couple of miles while they are moving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom