What do you think of baiting deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this argument against baiting, as in setting up a corn feeder in September to draw deer in for a the season, or the planting of food plots and year round feeding?

I guess I am not real edcuated in the use of feeders and plots. I do not have anything against either.

I do however think there is a line between feeding the deer and raising them. If you are able to keep the same deer on a particular area year after year thru a plot or feeder and are able to watch them over mutiple seasons and then harvest the animal when you felt it reached maturity then to me that is boarderline raising.

If that is the way you do it then more power to you. You guys put alot of time and money into your hunting and deserve to be successful. That is just not the way I do it.

As for the oak tree example. Unless you planted that tree you really had no part in it being there, you are just using the existing enviroment to your advantage. Much different than someone who plowed and planted a specific area for a specific reason.

Same goes for the dead cow and coyotes, you wouldn't shoot the cow just to draw the yotes in would you?

As lastly for the fish example, if you were feeding a largemouth bass for years in a tank to get him to record weight, would you feel right about putting a hook in it and calling it a throphy?

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As lastly for the fish example, if you were feeding a largemouth bass for years in a tank to get him to record weight, would you feel right about putting a hook in it and calling it a throphy?

Isn't that what we do when we raise livestock, compete them for prizes, and then ship them off to auction to be sold per pound?

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that what we do when we raise livestock, compete them for prizes, and then ship them off to auction to be sold per pound?

Yes it is, however I hope that is not the next evolution of our hunting and fishing activities. But in a way we are already there. If you can go online to a hunting outfitter and pick out what deer you want to shoot or if the outfitter has already identified the deer that get to be killed in a particular season.

ArealGunNut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side note, I wasn't refering to the dream season boys but I guess you could lump them in with the other fair chase gurus out there. Im curious you said you were in the business, just curious as to what you do in the business? I have some very good friends that are on tv quite abit and find it interesting how recomendations change as fast as sponsors do.

As far as the "bone collector" goes i wouldn't use a product with his name on it, if I were paid to do so. I guess we could call him the tiger woods of the hunting industry, and actually that would be giving him more credit than he deserves.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP is probably referring to Drury Outdoors, which for those of us in the hunting industry is actually 100% Fair Chase. Meaning they don't hire outfitters, or hunt fenced areas, or use planted game. They hunt areas that they've leased or have been given permission to hunt, and they do plant plots and feeders and use cameras. Why? Because they have a freakin' TV show and if they didn't, they wouldn't have enough action to actually make a living.

People seem to look at the hunters on outdoor television and either 1) Assume hunting is always like that, or 2) Judge them for not being "fair" enough to the game. It's an example people! They use nice gear and hunt good places because they want to show you the entertaining side of hunting. No body wants to sit and watch someone in a tree stand for 4 hours not see anything, we want to see em whack a monster, because that excites us! THAT is why we watch.

If you're seriously going to go off on the "purist" hunting, without using scent masks, feeders, camera, etc, you might as well go back to using an old hickory bow with buffalo string and feathers for fletching, because that Remington Model 700 in your hand puts you at MUCH more of an advantage than should be fair for that "poor doe." Hunting is the act of outwitting an animal on their turf, using whatever advantages you may have at hand, be it a $100,000 sponsorship and a trailer full of gear, or an old pair of army surplus boots and a Sears and Roebuck .30-30.

/rant.

This... what a lot of people dont realize is a lot of hunting pros, take widdell for instince he doesnt make tons of money doing what he does. Get on AT u can talk to the guy, he will tell u that if he was to quit his show he would have to go back to work for his parents remodling buisness right away. The guy doesnt have a big house he drives a 5 year old truck and the only ranches he gets to hunt on are by invite because he says he couldnt pay for them. Then to top it of the majority of his Elk hunts are all on public land. That guy was a national and world champ turkey caller and thats how he got his start. So the next time u want to think that all of thses guys just have deep pockets and are just run of the mill hunters ask yourself how many World Titles you have won.

As for the baiting? I think i will take every advantage i can get, hell just because its a timmed feeder doesnt mean they will come in at that time. I had over 400 pics in 5 days on one feeder and all but 2 pics where at night. So it really doesnt do me much good now does it.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nothing better than going bow hunting and spending $9 on a couple bags of green rage at that 25-30yd mark area for that big buck i had been watching and watch a younger calf come up and think he has hit the jack pot, clean the spot up with his tongue...then 6hrs later watch as that tall 8pt walked by sniffed the area and kept on trucking :NO: oh well the hunt lives on.....

what i find funny is that me and my buddies watch these hunting shows and say ya must be nice/easy :blahblah: BUT knowing damn well if we did not work an 8-5 and have kids (sports; practices/events every weekend) we would be doing the same thing....making a honey hole and doing everything we could to get the big one to stop in the right place for the perfect shot. i give it to those guys as rewards for there hard work to raise and be able to have hunters harvest what they get on there plots and people pay what they pay to hunt there. :twocents:

besides that big wheat/rye/bean field/doe in heat scent...how are you playing that...here, deer, deer, deer :D

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is unethical. I was spotlighting the other night and my buddy suggested we try his neighbors feeder. I wouldn't have anything to do with it so we just hunted the back piece of his neighbors property. We cut the back straps out of two nice does.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Say it aint so!!!

It ain't!

As for my baiting, I like to considerit like chum. I am going for Jaws and all I get are minnows, then is the baiting really working.

Also on the oak tree, so if I am planting 200 seedlings this year, 50 persimmon, 50 sawtooth oak, 50 Sand Plum and 50 American Plum, then I am baiting?

:cry3:

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also on the oak tree, so if I am planting 200 seedlings this year, 50 persimmon, 50 sawtooth oak, 50 Sand Plum and 50 American Plum, then I am baiting?

:cry3:

as long as you dont shoot that Boone and Crocket buck that shows up one day during a rut, picking on that persimmon tree. i guess you would probably let it go because it would "feel like the right thing to do" :uhh:

not me :fullauto:

:rollingla

Latest posts

Top Bottom