What Do you Think

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to say it's not the deer your son shot. If that is an exit wound, the shear energy of the bullet should've paralyzed him, at least temporarily, by passing so close to the spine and major nerves.

Amazing sometimes the things that happen with bullets and knives. I've seen some crazy "close calls" where there's almost no explanation how something worse didn't happen... just a few mils either direction and the results would have been disastrous.

Hell, I remember a guy with about an 8" knife blade buried to the hilt in the middle of his back... literally damaged nothing major and he walked out of the hospital 2 days later - blade slid right in between his heart and aortic arch. Luck f00ker shoulda gone and played the lotto that day instead of going to the teenie-bopper house party he got jumped at. lol

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ One in a million shot doc, one in a million.

I can't tell from the cam pics anything for sure. What bullet was he using?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I remember a guy with about an 8" knife blade buried to the hilt in the middle of his back... literally damaged nothing major and he walked out of the hospital 2 days later - blade slid right in between his heart and aortic arch. Luck f00ker shoulda gone and played the lotto that day instead of going to the teenie-bopper house party he got jumped at. lol

I'd bet he got more for his money with that hospital bill. lol. It is crazy the "dead zones" that exist in the anatomy. I'm sure there's plenty of well placed shots taken each year that, due to angle, conditions, kinetic energy, bullet weight and compound, do not prove fatal to the deer.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that shot what he thought was a stray dog chasing his steers. 200 yard shot with a 22-250 and the dog went down. Two days later, he stopped by his landowners house to pay his rent on the pasture, and the dog was sitting on the front porch with bandages on each side of his chest. The old man had taken him to the vet who x-rayed the dog and found no vital organs had been hit. Dog lived out the rest of his days, but was never seen running cattle again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a lead BP bullet found just under the skin of a buck in the neck. Looks like it only went in, and didn't have enough energy to go through. Long range? Don't know, but the reason I spotted it was because of the big growth on the side of the neck that I thought was cancer or something. Thought I'd cut around it to see if anything could be salvaged when the bullet dropped out. Still have the bullet.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it is your deer, your son needs to practice shot placement and try again in Nov.
That being said, if it is a bullet wound, its a miracle it didnt bust his spinal cord and drop him like a sack of rocks. I've killed many deer with a neck shot and there is never any "tracking" necessary.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a lead BP bullet found just under the skin of a buck in the neck. Looks like it only went in, and didn't have enough energy to go through. Long range? Don't know, but the reason I spotted it was because of the big growth on the side of the neck that I thought was cancer or something. Thought I'd cut around it to see if anything could be salvaged when the bullet dropped out. Still have the bullet.

Funny...I had a similar experience except when I cut it out, it was the tip of another bucks antler. Assuming it was from that season because the knot wasn't massed up. It was swollen and soft with fluid, much like you see with a splinter in your finger.

Sorry for the tangent. Back on point now...

I agree that the impact of a 270 at that range should have resulted in the deer going down, at least temporarily. My daughter took her deer this year with her 300 Blackout at 110 yards, and POI was almost exactly where the rough spots appear to be on this deer. Her deer dropped and never got back up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom