What happens to guns used to take ones own life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen these go back to the family once the incident is cleared as a suicide. I believe that I saw someone selling a gun on this site or armslist that was used in a suicide. The listing was a few months back. It did make me think if I would want to own such a firearm. My initial knee jerk reaction was "to take a step back" than reflect on the depth and significance of the association that the firearm now has. Suicide is taboo in most cultures, to posess an object associated with a taboo is going against the norm. There can be a belief that the object is now "bad luck" and capable of befalling the same fate upon the new owner.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They gave my wife her dads "cheifs special .38". We tossed it into the Atlantic with his ashes.
It creeped her out but she wouldnt let me sell it.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
30bulletholes,

I own a huge collection of Nazi pistols; Lugers, PPKs, P-38s, Mauser 1934 etc., and I'm sure some of them were used to kill people. Hell, I own an SS typewriter. Who knows what evil was typed up on it? I own old Colt autos and revolvers that I'm fairly sure have a history. And I am absolutely fine with that. However, I would not knowingly own a gun that someone used in a suicide.

Call me a superstitious girl, I will blame that owl who hoots constantly in my back yard.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They gave my wife her dads "cheifs special .38". We tossed it into the Atlantic with his ashes.
It creeped her out but she wouldnt let me sell it.

This makes sense to me and I'd probably so something similar if the gun had anything to do with a family member. If it had been used in a suicide of someone I didn't know it wouldn't bother me most likely. Don't know for sure since I've never been in that position before.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once bought a brand new glock @ Cabelas with some Christmas money from my mom. When I showed my mom what I bought she said that looks just like the one my aunt (her sister) used in her suicide. I then returned it to Cabelas. You are right they do not take guns back. However they were very understanding as to my reason and returned it gladly.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I once bought a brand new glock @ Cabelas with some Christmas money from my mom. When I showed my mom what I bought she said that looks just like the one my aunt (her sister) used in her suicide. I then returned it to Cabelas. You are right they do not take guns back. However they were very understanding as to my reason and returned it gladly.

Awesome the company was understanding.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My Uncle committed suicide with the same revolver that his father used for the same thing ........ It was offered to me by the executor of his estate and I declined it. Bad Karma ........

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this one. If it was someone super close to me like a parent or grandparent I would probably keep it knowing it was the last thing they laid their hands on, but it wouldn't be a tool anymore more of a weird keepsake. If it was someone else I knew I would just sell it.

Would it be wrong to sell a gun without disclosing history like this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom