What happens to guns used to take ones own life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I worked with had his duty weapon stolen in a home burglary. A teenager killed himself with it a few months later. It was returned several months after that to my friend.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We like to tell others that guns don't kill people, people kill people, yet for some reason you wouldn't want to touch a gun that killed someone? even in a suicide? it's just an inanimate object....nothing more....it's a tool.
I would have no problem with it....it's not the gun's fault.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly would not care. The gun is an inanimate object that cannot force itself up to your head and pull its trigger, that is the shooters decision.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We like to tell others that guns don't kill people, people kill people, yet for some reason you wouldn't want to touch a gun that killed someone? even in a suicide? it's just an inanimate object....nothing more....it's a tool.

dang! I should have typed so slow! My thoughts exactly!

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I posted earlier I have no problem with it myself but I won't look down on anyone who has a problem owning one.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll ask a bit of a troll question here:

Hunters aside, would any of you own a hammer that has never been used to pound nails? Or a saw that has never cut a board?

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with it, unless (as mentioned) the death was one close to me. Mil surps, pawn shop handguns, police turn ins or auctions or LEO surplus. No problems there. If someone else has different convictions, I won't judge them - I can understand it even if I differ.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not at all superstitious (knock on wood!). However, a friend of mine's son committed suicide and the gun eventually came back to my friend. A few years later one of her grandchildren died when accidentally shot with the same gun. Never heard what they did with it after that.

Having said that, I would have no problem owning a suicide gun unless it had been used by someone dear to me. As someone said earlier on this thread, the gun would be a sad reminder, and that's the only reason I wouldn't want it. CB

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a good friend who I used to shoot with quite often. He had a bad run of luck, had to sell all of his guns to pay for expenses, but never seemed overly down about the fact he was having to start over. We'd still go shoot, or I'd loan him some of mine and he'd go out to his parents land for the weekend. One day, he stopped by and asked to borrow a gun of mine, which I did, as I'd done many times before, and he went home and shot himself. Family found him a couple of days later and told me. Police asked me a number of questions about when and under what circumstances I loaned it to him, held onto the gun until it was ruled a suicide, and then returned the gun to me. Looking back, I probably should have paid a bit more attention to warning signs, but the thought that he would commit suicide never crossed my mind. I think about it a lot.

I still have that gun. I shoot it occasionally, mostly it just sits in the safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom