What happens to guns used to take ones own life?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a good friend who I used to shoot with quite often. He had a bad run of luck, had to sell all of his guns to pay for expenses, but never seemed overly down about the fact he was having to start over. We'd still go shoot, or I'd loan him some of mine and he'd go out to his parents land for the weekend. One day, he stopped by and asked to borrow a gun of mine, which I did, as I'd done many times before, and he went home and shot himself. Family found him a couple of days later and told me. Police asked me a number of questions about when and under what circumstances I loaned it to him, held onto the gun until it was ruled a suicide, and then returned the gun to me. Looking back, I probably should have paid a bit more attention to warning signs, but the thought that he would commit suicide never crossed my mind. I think about it a lot.

I still have that gun. I shoot it occasionally, mostly it just sits in the safe.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a good friend who I used to shoot with quite often. He had a bad run of luck, had to sell all of his guns to pay for expenses, but never seemed overly down about the fact he was having to start over. We'd still go shoot, or I'd loan him some of mine and he'd go out to his parents land for the weekend. One day, he stopped by and asked to borrow a gun of mine, which I did, as I'd done many times before, and he went home and shot himself. Family found him a couple of days later and told me. Police asked me a number of questions about when and under what circumstances I loaned it to him, held onto the gun until it was ruled a suicide, and then returned the gun to me. Looking back, I probably should have paid a bit more attention to warning signs, but the thought that he would commit suicide never crossed my mind. I think about it a lot.

I still have that gun. I shoot it occasionally, mostly it just sits in the safe.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

Me as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its an inantimate object.
I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
Bought a car once that had been used in a suicide. The family held on to it for many years. It was pristine, and I got a good deal on it.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me and I was given a firearm that was either used to defend oneself or someone decided to end their life with I would accept it. I not only would accept it I would have no issue carrying it or to use it for home defense. Because to me it would serve as a reminder to me how precious and frail our human lives are. I might have a different view on the topic due to past work in the health field ans my choice of religious beliefs . I have seen numerous lives before and after the life force has left them. And many times I was the last one to lay hands on them before they left this world. I look at any object as being just that and object. It has no breath in it nor does it have a soul. To me it would be a shame to see something like that destroyed. To me it is the same as someone who collects guns used in war. Or enemy flags from the past ( Nazi or Japanese) .

I feel pretty much the same as this.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a buddy that has the one his FIL used to off himself. When he pulled it out and tried to hand it to me, I backed up. Then I asked him "why the F@#% is that even in your house?"

He said they wanted to keep it. To each his own I guess. I understand, the gun didn't do anything. I don't give a ****. I'd find a lake and toss it way out in the middle of it somewhere.

Suicide guns are bad luck. I don't want to be anywhere close to one.

Amazing that even in the 21st century people still believe stupid crap like this. Bad Luck my arse...

I hereby volunteer to have all suicide guns transferred to me - free of charge of course. After all I'll be taking all that <cough> bad luck onto myself.

<wanders off - head shaking in pure amazement at the crap people still believe>

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They return it to the family; I have personal experience on this one. I won't go into details, but the revolver is still within the family.
My brother is gone though. You'd think after 20 years it wouldn't hurt so much, but it does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom