What is everyone using to bust birds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well of course we each have a favorite shotgun, but to answer your question, you have to know what the A5 was. It was THE autoloading shotgun of the day that JUST WORKED, and it was recoil operated. The 21st century version of THAT is hands down the Benelli, also recoil operated.

The SBE is the king of power and durability, taking up to 3 1/2 inch mags and all synthetic ized stock with high tech recoil reducers. Its the new A5 of the duck blind.

The Montifeltro is more traditional in its lines with pretty wood and uses less plastic. The new A5 of the pheasant field.

The M2 is the all rounder. It takes up to 3 inch mags, costs half of what the SBE does, available with wood or synthetic. It has kind of funky lines but not as dramatic as the SBE and a plastic trigger guard. Can even be tacticaled out.
The M2, in wood is MY new A5

The Vinci is :saywhat: I'm not sure what problem the vinci solves

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Although I have no initial plans to replace the old reliable boat anchor of a shotgun my A-5 is. I would like to progress into the 21st century sometime soon.

How dare you call John M. Browning's creation a "boat anchor"!!!! I'm 50yrs young, and still use the one I got over 35yrs ago. No finer shotgun has ever been made, yeah I'm bias towards Browning's, you could get your "man card" pulled for that!!!!:rollingla:rollingla:rollingla:rollingla:nono1::nono1:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How dare you call John M. Browning's creation a "boat anchor"!!!! I'm 50yrs young, and still use the one I got over 35yrs ago. No finer shotgun has ever been made, yeah I'm bias towards Browning's, you could get your "man card" pulled for that!!!!:rollingla:rollingla:rollingla:rollingla:nono1::nono1:
What I want to know is why in the world don't they bring them back? The Belgians were the stuff, but even the Japanese ones were nice. I'd love to have one in 20ga to go with grampa's Sweet 16. :pissed:

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Super X3, and an older 1100. Haven't ever had any problems with either. I shoot the SX3 more, as I like its balance more and overall its just a nicer gun (vent rib, screw in chokes, etc). I've probably ran 1,000 through each and haven't had a problem that wasn't caused by my little brothers ineptitude. I don't duck hunt so most of my shooting is in clean conditions.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no problem carrying the A5 a few more years. It isn't perfect. There are plyer marks on the magazine screw cap from someone trying to get it off. Don't know when or why but they are there.

It has a very good fitted recoil pad. I swear this thing kicks like a 20 guage. I'm just looking for MY shotgun.

I may look at the Benelli line of guns. Although I would have to eat some crow after the hell I've given my friend in Dallas.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What I want to know is why in the world don't they bring them back? The Belgians were the stuff, but even the Japanese ones were nice. I'd love to have one in 20ga to go with grampa's Sweet 16. :pissed:

It would be nice, but it would be to costly to still make them the way they used to. Mine was made in 1959, and came as a three barrel set, one 18.5" with rifle sights, a 24" modified, and a 30" full. The 30" has never had a round put down it. The 30, and 24 are both high rib, all made in Belgium.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lets talk about what you probably will hunt. very few quail in OK, esp eastern OK. could be wrong but you probably won't get around a lot of quail.

pheasant - okla limit was increase from 2 to 3 a day i think. so population on the rise in far west OK. a lot of opportunitites in KS and further north.
a 12 is good, if you are a good shot, a 20 is plenty. i think most people will hunt pheasant with a 12. a lot of walking and a gun will get REAL heavy unless you are a 20 y/o flat belly. u are shooting heavy load so recoil is a large factor. probably will not shoot a lot. i like a light 12 gauge, 7.5 lbs or less or 20.

dove - a lot of dove to hunt in OK. some people will say only opening day but i have shot them all sept and into oct. not very much walking at all, mostly sitting. so weight not as big a factor as with pheasant. a 12 or 20 both OK. a good low recoil semi 12 on dove will not wear you out. for some guys a pump 12 hurts - i have always used a semi 12 on dove as i have to shoot a lot to get my limit and shooting 60 times with a pump hurts. a 20 is plenty of gun for dove. so pump or semi, both are fine.

a lot of people for years have shot remington 870 pump, 1100 and 1187. great guns. winchester model 12 and ithica model 37 also great pump guns that guys hit will with. beretta urika GREAT gun. VERY low recoil.

last word - do not be afraid to buy a gun and shoot it and then trade it. u can learn something from every gun you own and gain experience and then settle down on the one or two guns THAT YOU hit the best with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom