What is it that makes us pick and choose to believe what we're told?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so, in the past few days i've been reading a lot of threads about two very different topics that seem to have one large thing in common. Some people refuse to believe the official investigation.

Right now we've got two threads on the main page, one about Ferguson and one about Bengazi. In one thread people seem very pleased with the official investigation and take it as fact, in the other it's dismissed as a coverup and that justice wasn't served.

Now, i'm curious why we are willing to believe the government on one issue but not the other? Maybe this is a larger philosophical question or maybe it's just our own world view influencing our judgment? Both cases had 'eye witness' testimony that people want to either impeach as false or embrace as true. Why are we willing to believe the grand jury's findings as unbiased and fair but assume that a bipartisan congressional committee has to be lying? Why does the other side feel the opposite?

Also, i'm not weighing in on whether either side's findings were correct. I'm just fascinated by the fact that people here (and especially on social media) seem perfectly happy to say the government got it right in one instance and wrong in the other. And yes, these aren't apples to apples situations, but i'm talking about the way people react to the evidence and 'what they are told'.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a good question. I'm not calling anyone a racist, but I think a key attribute in Ferguson is the fact there are black people tearing things up and stealing.

There is scant compassion (right or wrong) for that crew, and since openly condemning them categorically feels weird, the only real outward manifestation of that sentiment is understated, somber support of the other parties involved.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent question.

I'm sure that part of it has to do with the information we've seen.

In the Ferguson case autopsy reports have been released, a cell phone video with candid audio of two people talking about the events immediately after they happened corroborated the officers story were released, among other things.

Regarding Bengazi, we were fed B.S. stories about a YouTube video and "at this point, what difference does it make?" attitudes toward the incident.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Federal government with a history of lies, cover-ups, and ulterior motives versus state and local government that is more accountable to the local population.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent question.

I'm sure that part of it has to do with the information we've seen.

In the Ferguson case autopsy reports have been released, a cell phone video with candid audio of two people talking about the events immediately after they happened corroborated the officers story were released, among other things.

Regarding Bengazi, we were fed B.S. stories about a YouTube video and "at this point, what difference does it make?" attitudes toward the incident.

I Agree. Nobody trust Washington anymore. As far as Ferguson. Many of us know the place well. Others know what the media has told them. Ferguson is a beautiful place that has been overrun by gangs. They were going to riot no matter what. My B.I.L. "Who is black" has been prepping all week. He knew how they were going to act.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, part of it is state vs local, but to some extent I think it comes down to the veracity of the story itself. What Officer Wilson said seems pretty legitimate, given the evidence we have been presented. The Benghazi story seems far less legitimate, given the limited evidence that was slowly released over a long period of time.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not condoning, but seriously, it's better than raping women and killing kids, property can be replaced. We have insurance for a reason.

...and since the BS detector is running full throttle on this, if you give someone the chance to steal they will.......and, wait for it,........it crosses social and economic lines...from CEO's to homeless peeps. Thieves are dirty nasty souls, no matter what color your skin is or how much money you have.

people have been looting, squatting and stealing since the Stone Age.

Latest posts

Top Bottom