What is life like in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love it here, the people are for the most part really nice to you. Houses are cheap, our house would easily cost 10x as much or more in some places. Cost of living in general is low here. Our economy has had its problems like everyone elses but its not so bad compared to most. As bad as many of the roads are I've grown to except them, I've only had one problem in my life with them when I hit a monster pothole and bent my rim. We also have some really nice roads. There isn't really any boring roads though. Lots of hunting, fishing, and gardening to do here. Most people I know that have moved away have already moved back not because they had to but wanted to. Its a great state!

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s time to move out of Florida. There are just too many bad and reckless people here. Now that I have kids I've got to go. The last time I drove through Okla. I thought the land was beautiful and the people were nice. Recently I've heard some negative comments from some Oklahoma transplants. They say that Oklahoma is a dry, dusty, rundown place with no jobs and lots of crime. They say that the people are backwards and that the place is a dump. Can anyone here provide an unbiased report of life in Oklahoma? I’m looking to do a lot of hunting, fishing and gardening. I'm a teacher and my wife is a nurse.
Thanks for the help
Here is a picture of some public land hogs I got in Florida

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc457/slimecoat/hogs008.jpg
I moved here to Oklahoma in '95 from San Diego, one of the most beautiful places in North America. I've never regretted coming her. I find that most of the people that ***** a lot about life here have never really spent a lot of time anywhere else. I've been just about everywhere west of the Mississippi and I chose Oklahoma to raise my children and build my career.

Our unemployment is lower than most states, so anybody telling you otherwise is probably lying about other stuff too.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has goods and bads, just like most places. I get sick of the wind and the dirt. The east side of Oklahoma is pretty, but the rest is flat with nothing to look at. On the other hand, we have alot of good people here and we have good gun laws.

Here are a few things to look at: The cypress bottoms in southeast Oklahoma, the Talamena Skyline drive in eastern Oklahoma, The Arkansas river system in Northeast Oklahoma, the Great salt plains, the Tallgrass Prairie preserve, the Arbuckle mountains, Mount Scott and the wildlife preserve at Lawton, the Little Sahara sand dunes, Boiling springs state park in north western Oklahoma, Black Mesa in the panhandle of the State.

Oklahoma is one of the most, if not the most diverse state, as far as terrain is concerned.

Last edited:

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why Antlers? I highly suggest the Sapulpa/Jenks/Glenpool area, it's close to Tulsa and the big city so you can easily get to the mall or whatever and small enough you don't have to deal with big city crap.

I lived in missouri for 2 monthsish and I'd never leave here again.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are a few things to look at: The cypress bottoms in southeast Oklahoma, the Talamena Skyline drive in eastern Oklahoma, The Arkansas river system in Northeast Oklahoma, the Great salt plains, the Tallgrass Prairie preserve, the Arbuckle mountains, Mount Scott and the wildlife preserve at Lawton, the Little Sahara sand dunes, Boiling springs state park in north western Oklahoma, Black Mesa in the panhandle of the State.

Oklahoma is one of the most, if not the most diverse state, as far as terrain is concerned.

"Among the most geographically diverse states, Oklahoma is one of four to harbor more than 10 distinct ecological regions, with 11 in its borders — more per square mile than in any other state. Its western and eastern halves, however, are marked by extreme differences in geographical diversity: Eastern Oklahoma touches eight ecological regions and its western half contains three."

The above info can be found in the topography section of the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of all the good things people have said are true. Friendly people, easy gun laws, cheap property, low cost of living etc. However, the bad is true as well. Huge meth and prescription drug problems, relatively little variety in outdoor activity (but if you like hanging at lakes, there are plenty of nice ones). The state government does leave a lot to be desired. Extremely religious in word, sometimes not so much in deed. The herd mentality can be exhausting at times.

But all in all, it is like lots of other places where the pace is slow. That slow pace often provides an advantage to those willing to work a little faster, harder, and smarter.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The beaches in Florida would be nice but then the hurricanes would suck. Those things can cover the whole state. While we have many Tornadoes every year in Oklahoma, I've never seen one. They are only here for a few minutes if that and cover a very small area compared to a hurricane. So after the first hurricane the beach would be a negative for me leaving no positives I can think of for living in Florida over Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom