What is this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured someone on here probably knows what this little thing is.
rumored to be a little cannon, signal flare/sailors messenger tool.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d173_anglewicz_imagejpeg953.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d173_anglewicz_11042395093634.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d173_anglewicz_11042395093611.jpg

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d173_anglewicz_11042395131451.jpg

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without being able to see it in person and examine it.....I'm going to guess.

It looks like a Hotchkiss Naval Signal Cannon....guessing again.....1895-1910??

*** Any identifying marks or stampings?? Caliber...........maybe 13mm?? Barrel length?? Sorry for my guessing.

Cohiba

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its actually not mine, but someone I know has it and is trying to find some info about it. I figured one of my fellow OSA'ers could help out. Thanks, Cohiba

gundummy911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is what was known as a "Punt" gun. Commercial wildfowlers used them to take ducks and geese for the mass markets. They would be mounted on the bow of a small boat (usually a "Punt" hence the name) loaded with a hugeload of heavy shot and the fowler would "scull" (paddle the boat one handed with a short paddle similar to a large ping pong paddle) quietly near or into a flotilla of ducks, geese etc, and set it off killing as many as possible out of a flock while they sat on the water.
JMHO,
BT

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what was known as a "Punt" gun. Commercial wildfowlers used them to take ducks and geese for the mass markets. They would be mounted on the bow of a small boat (usually a "Punt" hence the name) loaded with a hugeload of heavy shot and the fowler would "scull" (paddle the boat one handed with a short paddle similar to a large ping pong paddle) quietly near or into a flotilla of ducks, geese etc, and set it off killing as many as possible out of a flock while they sat on the water.
JMHO,
BT

Doesn't look big enough to be a punt gun to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom