What is your secret on preparing back strap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I cook them on the grill, or on an electric skillet mainly. I do the chicken fried thing with other deer steaks, but not backstrap. Backstrap I just season and grill, but not past Medium Rare. That is the biggest thing with deer that I have found, don't go past Medium, or you might as well just grind all the steaks into hamburger next time.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cut into 1 or 2 inch cubes, put in a Tupperware bowl and add the rub of your choice and shake. I use Cavender's Greek Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Cumin. Take some bacon, spread cream cheese bagel spread on the bacon. Add jalapeno slices. Take your backstrap cubes, wrap them in the cream cheese and jalepeno covered bacon, place on skewer. Grill on medium heat until bacon is crispy.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
photos.smugmug.com_Other_Nikon_FM2_i_CvWmnrt_0_L_40650027_L.jpg

+ spices
+ 80 year old cast iron on good camp stove
+ tortillas

Most all my backstrap gets this treatment. Tastes best on a gravel bar on the river or in a camp at 10,000 ft.

Otherwise it's chicken fried with fried potatoes and gravy and an ice cold Pepsi.

Modello is good stuff, I prefer it by the bottle though.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so ill let my little secret out.
1.Cut into 1inch pieces
2.Sprinkle with garlic powder and ADOBO, yes i said ADOBO.
3. Place in ziplock bags
4. Pour beer(I use bud light), Worcestershier sauce, and a little lime juice.

Let it sit in the ziplock at least two hours before frying, do not let temp go much higher than 160 degrees.

ENJOY!!!!

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Butterfly, Montreal steak seasoning, grill on hot heat to medium rare. Don't overcook. No need to waste good bacon on such good meat. Save it for eggs in the morning.

I also agree chicken fry with gravy is very good also.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Modello is good stuff, I prefer it by the bottle though.

especial is cheap beer, a bottle ain't gonna make it better. if I buy modelo bottles they are negra.

plus that pic was taken in a campsite at in the mountains. I don't pack glass into camps like that because it's heavy and breaks and is prohibited in some areas. smash cans, pack 'em out. bottoms on all those went convex from altitude, but none busted.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I went deer hunting this morning, and had a thawed out elk backstrap waiting for me when I got home. Debated on what to do with it, but decided to try it smoked. Marinated it in Alegro wild game marinade, and put it in the smoker draped in bacon.
Taking it out, it was just too dry. Great flavor, but dry.
If I remember right, I went down this road with a deer backstrap. The meat is too lean to smoke correctly, and retain the moisture.
From now On, it will be marinated, and fry'd to a medium rare.

Smoking wild meats with little fat is challenging, but can be done well. I did a set of deer ribs last year just to prove it can be done. Made a rub, smoked them 1-2-1 and used orange slices to cover the meat while wrapped. the bones pulled out and the meat was extremely tender and moist. Any good cut of meat like you had would get wrapped up after an hour or so just to retain what's left of the moisture. And probably get a olive oil/vinegar mix spritzer to boot.

AmericanPatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite way is to marinate in Zing Zangs bloody mary mix atleast overnight. Then while its on the grill spread horseradish sauce on the backstrap on both sides. You must use Zing Zangs mix, I have tried others and its just not as good. The acids in the mix really break the meat down and it comes out SUPER tender.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smoking wild meats with little fat is challenging, but can be done well. I did a set of deer ribs last year just to prove it can be done. Made a rub, smoked them 1-2-1 and used orange slices to cover the meat while wrapped. the bones pulled out and the meat was extremely tender and moist. Any good cut of meat like you had would get wrapped up after an hour or so just to retain what's left of the moisture. And probably get a olive oil/vinegar mix spritzer to boot.
Ditto this! Try this way to lessen the dryness of lean meats. Soak in milk overnight. Drain and pat dry. Sear that backstrap! Do not salt, but do pepper to taste. Smoke 1 hour only! Wrap in foil with lots of onion, mushroom, bell pepper, garlic, and 1/4 cup beef broth. 1 1/2to 2 hours more in smoker(or to your prefered doneness). Remove backstrap carefully from foil and smoke 30 min. (To firm up). Serve with the vegetables from foil. Call me when ready to serve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom