What is your secret on preparing back strap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
photos.smugmug.com_Other_Nikon_FM2_i_CvWmnrt_0_L_40650027_L.jpg

+ spices
+ 80 year old cast iron on good camp stove
+ tortillas

Most all my backstrap gets this treatment. Tastes best on a gravel bar on the river or in a camp at 10,000 ft.

Otherwise it's chicken fried with fried potatoes and gravy and an ice cold Pepsi.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Orange & Iggy are right, preparation is everything. If you put backstrap into anything or put ANYTHING but spices on it then you are doing it a disservice. Fry it up slowly, with love, in olive oil.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I went deer hunting this morning, and had a thawed out elk backstrap waiting for me when I got home. Debated on what to do with it, but decided to try it smoked. Marinated it in Alegro wild game marinade, and put it in the smoker draped in bacon.
Taking it out, it was just too dry. Great flavor, but dry.
If I remember right, I went down this road with a deer backstrap. The meat is too lean to smoke correctly, and retain the moisture.
From now On, it will be marinated, and fry'd to a medium rare.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do it all sorts of ways. Cut thin season add wichesters onions mushrooms add brown gravy cook for few Mins eat with rice or mashed pots. Swiss steak. Roast. Beef tips with noodles butterfly steaks. Just remember you can do the same thing with deer you can do with beef

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut it in half, put in a glass oven dish, pour one bottle of vesty italian dressing, cover dish with foil, cook for 45min at 275.

Almost forgot, wrap the entire thing in bacon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom