What is your secret on preparing back strap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We soak ours in milk for several hours, then flour and fry it. Pepper and salt and whatever else you want in the flour. The other night I cut some very thin, like 1/4 inch or less, then soaked it in red wine all night and cooked it on a griddle the next morning. Wasn't bad at all.

Some folks like to marinate it in Italian Dressing, then cook on the grill. Never tried it but the folks that do swear by it.

You may want to whack on it a bit with a meat hammer.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I remove all the "silver" skin. Sometimes I cut bout one inch steaks, marinate in blackberry wine overnight, roll them in pecan crumbs, then bake in oven at 350 for bout 20 mins. They come out medium rare, usually tender and moist.

Serve with fresh green beans n canned new potatoes. And some Texas toast.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had to soak or marinate backstrap. My favorite way is to cut it into several thick "slices" similar to a filet mignon but maybe an inch thick. Dust the "mini-steaks" in seasoned flour and pan fry them long enough to be a golden brown without over cooking them. It's easy to over cook the meat and turn them from super tender little steaks to chewy jerky so watch the temps closely. I serve them with a spicy sage gravy over the steaks and mashed potatoes. Some good biscuits or dinner rolls to go with it and that's all you need. Done right they will be super tender and amaze your friends and family :)

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The higher the heat, the better. I usually do them on a grill, high heat to clean feature. Either will cook them to medium rare in only a few minutes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom