What should I trade my Kimber for???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why's that?
I have never seen a 9mm 1911 that was not a jam-o-matic. the 1911 was designed around a certain C.O.L. and it tends to not like anything shorter. Perhaps if some one was willing to learn how to time the mags and recoil springs to make one work they would be OK. But your average ccw holder is not gonna take that amount of intertest in their weapon.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never seen a 9mm 1911 that was not a jam-o-matic. the 1911 was designed around a certain C.O.L. and it tends to not like anything shorter. Perhaps if some one was willing to learn how to time the mags and recoil springs to make one work they would be OK. But your average ccw holder is not gonna take that amount of intertest in their weapon.

The EMP is designed specifically around the 9mm cartridge - its not a standard framed 1911 (its actually got quite a few changes made to the design).

That being said, Springfield's QC is worse than Remington's and I owned an EMP that came with a firing pin made well below spec size which resulted in slivers of metal from the primer ending up in the firing pin hole (especially with +P and +P+ ammo due to the increased pressures) and that resulted in the hammer dropping and a click instead of a bang.

I got that and the other little annoyances taken care of via a gun smith, but it was still pretty crappy that Springfield's ultra-expensive carry gun couldn't come from the factory working as advertised (I've heard that the newer models have taken care of this problem with better QC).

Oh, and the front strap isn't checkered - that sucks on a full-custom carry 1911.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But it's not a Kimber. I've got two Sig and no way my Kimber would be traded for one of them but I do like them. Seems like your going to end up with a zero net gain or someone going to get a good deal.

My carry is a Kimber CDP... I traded off every Sig I have owned. Good guns but just dont fit my hand right...

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The EMP is designed specifically around the 9mm cartridge - its not a standard framed 1911 (its actually got quite a few changes made to the design).

That being said, Springfield's QC is worse than Remington's and I owned an EMP that came with a firing pin made well below spec size which resulted in slivers of metal from the primer ending up in the firing pin hole (especially with +P and +P+ ammo due to the increased pressures) and that resulted in the hammer dropping and a click instead of a bang.

I got that and the other little annoyances taken care of via a gun smith, but it was still pretty crappy that Springfield's ultra-expensive carry gun couldn't come from the factory working as advertised (I've heard that the newer models have taken care of this problem with better QC).

Oh, and the front strap isn't checkered - that sucks on a full-custom carry 1911.

That sucks... I want the .40 but the checkering is a big negative to me. Would have to be done before I carried it...

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I should state that I don't consider a EMP a 1911. I was referring to some of the 9mm 1911's that have been put out by Kimber, Springfield et al. I have no experience with the EMP so I will STFU about those.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMT do you think one of these EMP's would last though one of the TDSA weekend courses without problems?

Well I'm putting mine through their respective paces right now. I've shot, umc, blazer, federal, and various SD JHP such as HST, Hydra shok, Golden Sabre, Ranger, Gold Dot, Double tap through mine with no problems. Something I do with guns I intend to carry.

Lots of guns in the same price range do not have checkering, or if they DO have checkering like your run of the mill micro Kimber then it is riddled with MIM. Take your pick. :D

If we are labeling a company from one example, then no company is safe.... even and especially Sig Sauer. :hey3:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I should state that I don't consider a EMP a 1911. I was referring to some of the 9mm 1911's that have been put out by Kimber, Springfield et al. I have no experience with the EMP so I will STFU about those.

Colt never had any problems with theirs. :D

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm putting mine through their respective paces right now. I've shot, umc, blazer, federal, and various SD JHP such as HST, Hydra shok, Golden Sabre, Ranger, Gold Dot, Double tap through mine with no problems. Something I do with guns I intend to carry.
Be sure to use plenty of +P and +P+ ammo... :thumb:

Lots of guns in the same price range do not have checkering, or if they DO have checkering like your run of the mill micro Kimber then it is riddled with MIM. Take your pick. :D
That's fair - and I appreciate the fact that the cost could be higher, but when I can have a gunsmith do the work for less than $200 - just seems like the factory should be setup to do it on an assembly line for like $50 or so more bucks - and the EMP is at least $100 too expensive for what it is if you ask me...

If we are labeling a company from one example, then no company is safe.... even and especially Sig Sauer. :hey3:
Its definitely not from one example - check out stories on the modern M1As that are used for competition, I have personally seen 3 Springfield 1911s fresh out of the box that needed a little tweaking to get them working (these were not GI models, but nicer, more expensive 1911s), I've spoken to the good Dr. Barry Greyson about the number of Springfield frames that are out of spec that come across his work bench, etc...

Its happening to Gun companies all around (and I've read more than a few examples of Sig's failure to address something due to what I would guess is their attempt to save money) but the difference is usually when you pay for the high-end or "upgraded" guns, they get a little more QC before they ship them out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom