What slugs do you shoot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious what everyone else shoots in their slugguns.I ahve been sold on winchester partition golds,but they are getting harder to find here around Ft.Smith(I live in Spiro ,but shop across the line).Thanks for yalls input.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't shot any of these, but Federal makes a 3 inch round with a Barnes slug that penetrates 48 inches of ballistic gel. Looks like a quantum leap in slug technology, at a price. I think its best application would be against big bears. CB

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Brennekes were the goods in IL slug season.
For defense/duty, Winchester ranger LE low recoil slugs are my choice.
Accurate problem solvers, they are.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brenneke full power 2 3/4" slugs seem to be the most popular choice in Alaska for Bear defense.

I like the Fiocchi Aero slugs, had good luck with Remington slugs, and the Winchesters that Olyeller gave me sure seemed good too. Best thing to do is try a bunch of different ones in your barrel, and see which ones work best as slugs are one of those things, that will perform VASTLY different in different barrels, and the "best" by poll results may not be any good in your tube at all! KurtM

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i use federal tactical low recoil, good price at AMMO TO GO,easy to order, online, no copy of DL to send them.RIO makes slug and LR slug load,if you can find who has it in stock at the moment .ammo to go carries rio buckshot , and i have used it good stuff.cheap too. RIO is worlds largest shotgun ammo maker.i think ammo to go doesnt carry large inventory it seems their stock varies week to week but they are the cheapest i have found,easy to order from,no problems.also try ABLE AMMO & ammo to go are in TX, close by. OUTDOOR MARKSMAN has a lot on their web site but the cheap stuff is usually sold out,never bought from them,or able .OM sets up at larger gun shows. buy 12 ga ammo in 250 rd case , its 1 box 10x5x12 30 lbs.cheaper that way.LOW RECOIL foster slugs will do most everything you need , & they are cheaper, you can get more pratice in with them than mag loads.if you need to shoot bear or into a car, yes the brennekes would be my choice , they have a large variety to choose from, go to their web site & look around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom